British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Trinity, Long Itchington

Description: Church of the Holy Trinity

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 307163

OS Grid Reference: SP4119365122
OS Grid Coordinates: 441193, 265122
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2827, -1.3976

Location: Church Road, Long Itchington, Warwickshire CV47 9FB

Locality: Long Itchington
Local Authority: Stratford-on-Avon District Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: CV47 9FB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Long Itchington, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP4165 (South side)
10/32 Church of the Holy Trinity


Church. Late C12/early C13, early C14 and C15. Restored 1928. Coursed lias
rubble interspersed with sandstone blocks, with sandstone plinth, buttresses,
quoins and eaves cornice. Plain-tile and C20-tile roofs. Chancel, nave with
south aisle and west tower, the spire mostly blown down in 1762. Early C14
chancel of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, moulded string
course below window sills and cross at apex to east. Restored east window of 5
ogee-headed lights with intersecting and quatrefoil tracery. Hood mould with C14
carved head labels. Three C14 windows to south, those to left and right each of
3 restored lights. 3-light window to centre with Y-tracery. C14 doorway below
centre window of 2 moulded orders and pointed-arch head. C20 plank door. Three
C14 windows to south, each of 3 lights, those to left and right with Y-tracery,
that to centre with cusped lights. C19/C20 stone gabled vestry with doorway to
west and re-used C14 window to north of 3 ogee-headed lights with reticulated
tracery, ovolo-moulded surround and hood mould with carved head labels. Early
C14 nave of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, moulded eaves
cornice and C19/C20 coped gables. To left and right a C14 window with moulded
and chamfered surrounds. Each window of 3 lights, the mullions continuing up to
meet arch, without heads. C19/C20 window to centre of 2 cusped lights and
trefoil tracery. C19/C20 stone gabled porch, the doorway of 2 orders on shafts
with moulded capitals and bases. Single-light window to east and west. Within
the C14 doorway with many-moulded pointed-arch surround with hood mould and
labels. Original iron hinges remain. C20 double plank doors. C15 clerestory to
north and south of 3 and 4 square-headed windows, each of 2 ogee-headed cusped
lights. Early C13 south aisle of 4 bays with moulded eaves cornice with one
gargoyle remaining. Early C14 window to east of 3 lights and Y tracery. Further
early C14 window to right of east wall of 2 lights and Y tracery. Early C13
pointed lancets to left and centre, and to west. Round-headed south doorway of 2
moulded orders, the inner continuing to ground and the outer supported on shafts
with moulded capitals. Iron hinges remain. C20 double plank doors. West tower
with offset diagonal buttresses rising to top, chamfered plinth and moulded
eaves cornice with damaged gargoyles. Embattled parapet with finials at angles.
To west a pointed-arched window of 2 cusped lights and cusped tracery.
Immediately above window, continuing around to north a C14 band of sunk
quatrefoils. Loop-lights to all 4 sides, that to east now within nave.
Bell-chamber openings of 2 mullioned and transomed lights within segmental
pointed heads. Truncated octagonal spire. Interior: east window has moulded
rere-arch and hood mould with labels. C14 doorway now leads to vestry. C14
sedilia to south of 3 stepped seats within cusped arches and crocketed gable
with poppy-head finials. C14 double piscina to left within 2 cusped lights and
trefoil within tympanum. C14 Easter sepulchre to north within cusped arch of 3
moulded orders and crocketed gable with poppy head to apex and finials to either
side. Moulded string course runs beneath window sills. C14 chancel arch of 3
shafts with moulded responds. Cusped squint to right South aisle arcade of 3
bays, but originally 4, that to west blocked C15. Octagonal shafts with moulded
bases and capitals. 2 tomb recesses on south wall with elongated cusps within
many-moulded surrounds. Simple cusped piscina towards east. Pointed tower arch
of 2 orders, with C14 band of sunk quatrefoils above. C19/C20 king post roof to
chancel, and haafierbeam nave roof supported on C15 carved head corbels. C19/C20.
aisle roof supported on C14 carved head corbels to south. Late C17 communion
rail with turned balusters. Restored screen with C14/C15 cusped tracery
supported on later shafts. Monument in north chancel wall to John Baswork who
died 1674; an inscribed brass with surround of 2 Corinthian capitals supporting
a cornice and semi-circular broken pediment. C19 monument in north nave and
south aisle walls. Also on south aisle wall a wood panel painted with heraldic
arms, hour-glasses and skull and cross bones, recording the bequest of Lady Anne
Holbourne of 50 pounds per annum to the parish priests and parish poor. Probably
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.129; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,

Listing NGR: SP4119365122

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.