If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 307232
OS Grid Reference: SP3786262173
OS Grid Coordinates: 437862, 262173
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2564, -1.4467
Explore more of the area around Ufton, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
3/102 Church of St. Michael
Church. Early C13 origins, with C14, C13 and C16 alterations and additions.
Restored 1860 and 1881. Squared coursed lias and some limestone with sandstone
dressings. Plain-tile chancel and nave roofs with decorative flashing, and lead
aisle roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays with offset
diagonal buttresses and coped gable to east with cross at apex. Restored east
window of 3 lights, the central light cusped, with mullions continuing to apex
of moulded pointed arch. C14 ogee-headed doorway with hood mould in south wall,
with C19 plank door. Blocked single light with cusped head and moulded surround
to left, with restored square-headed window of 2 cusped lights to right. North
chancel wall has corresponding blocked single light and square-headed 2-light
window, partly restored. Nave of 4 bays with chamfered plinth to north aisle,
moulded eaves cornice to south aisle and coped gables. Three C19 windows in
south aisle wall, of one and 2 cusped lights within square heads with hood
moulds and labels. Square-headed window in east wall of 3 cusped lights with
panel tracery in spandrels. Single ogee-headed light to west wall with pointed
hood mould and labels. Rebuilt porch with diagonal buttresses. Pointed-arch
doorway of 2 orders with hood mould and labels. Single ogee-headed lights to
east and west. C13 south door restored and probably re-used from original nave.
Pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer order supported on detached shafts
with moulded base and capital with nail-head moulding. C19 plank door. North
aisle has square-headed window of 2 ogee-headed lights with hood mould to north
and east, with window of 2 pointed lights and Y tracery in pointed-arch surround
to west. C14 doorway in north nave wall with moulded pointed-arch surround.
Restored C14 window to right of 3 cusped lights and trefoil tracery. C16
clerestory of 2 square-headed windows to north and 3 to south. Each window of 2
ogee-headed lights with cusped panel tracery and hood mould with labels. West
tower of 3 stages, the third stage added C15, with chamfered plinth, offset
buttresses rising to third stage and hollow-moulded eaves cornice with
gargoyles. Restored embattled parapet. Restored C14 window to west, of 2 cusped
lights and quatrefoil tracery, with relieving arch above. C15 bell-stage windows
of 2 cusped lights with transoms within segmental pointed head. Interior;
chancel windows have moulded surrounds. In south wall a damaged piscina with
cusped head, stone shelf and fluted basin. South door has chamfered rere-arch.
C19 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders. Aisle arcades of 2 bays to north, 3 to
south. Octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals supporting arches of 2
chamfered orders. Respond to east of south arcade has carved foliage capitals.
Nave and aisle windows have chamfered rere-arches. South aisle door has moulded
rere-arch. Piscina towards east with cusped head. Restored trefoil-headed
Piscina in east wall of north aisle. C19 font in south aisle in C14 style, with
hexagonal basin supported on pedestal with engaged shaft at each angle. Two C15
benches to rear of nave with carved pinnacles and beast head. Brass in north
aisle east wall inscribed. 'here lyeth the Boddyes of Richard Woddones parsson
and pattron and vossioner of the Churche and parishe of Ufton, in the countrie
of Warricke who died one mydsomer daye 1587 and ngery.e his wife and her seven
children as nanelye Richard, John and John, Anne, Jane, Elizabeth, Ayles his
iiii daughters whose sole restethe with God'. The brass shows Richard ioddames
and his wife kneeling lacing one another over a prayer-desk with their sons and
daughters kneeling behind.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.246-247; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP3786262173
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.