Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 11 April 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 308116
OS Grid Reference: SP2622361184
OS Grid Coordinates: 426223, 261184
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2482, -1.6173
There is also a scheduled monument, Sherbourne churchyard cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SHERBOURNE Church Lane
15/244 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1862-4. Architect Sir George Gilbert Scott. Large estate
church in Early English/Decorated style. Ashlar built with plain tile roofs.
Comprising: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south organ chamber
and chapel, north west tower with porch and south vestry. Cinquefoiled circular
clerestory windows. North transept in organ chamber by Oldrid Scott circa 1882
and has statues of David and two angels under canopies, carved by Brindley of
Farmer and Brindley. Tall north west tower and long thin spire with gabled
belfry and detached polygonal pinnacles rising from corner buttress. Interior:
arcades of polychrome marble. Vaulted south chapel and north organ chamber.
Pulpit stair by Skidmore of Coventry. Stained glass mostly by Clayton and Bell
and by Hardman in south chapel. Ryland tomb chest in south chapel. The church
was built by Miss Louisa Ann Ryland for £20,000. The Rylands were Birmingham
industrialists. There are some C18 headstones in the churchyard.
Listing NGR: SP2622361184
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.