Description: Old Quad Buildings at Rugby School
Date Listed: 11 October 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 308481
OS Grid Reference: SP5026474992
OS Grid Coordinates: 450264, 274992
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3707, -1.2631
LAWRENCE SHERIFF STREET
Old Quad Buildings at Rugby
School (Formerly listed as
Rugby old School)
SP 5074 NW 2/12 11.lO.49.
1809-13 by Henry Hakewell in Tudor style, possibly incorporating some volts of
1748 school building by William Hiorn of Warwick. South cloister added circa 1814,
Headmasters School over gateway circa 1830. Hollow square plan with low north-east
angle tower over wide arched entrance, lst floor oriel bay window. South-east
tower with tall archway, central turret with canted angles, battlements, cupola
resembling that of 1748 building. 2 and 3 storeys, sash and casement windows.
South front full height projecting bays on left and right of centre. Octagonal
turrets either end of right hand bay.
New and old Quad Buildings, School House and Doctor's Wall at Rugby School form a]
group with the Chapel and War Memorial Chapel at Rugby School Dunchurch Road.
Listing NGR: SP5027974958
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.