Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 6 December 1947
English Heritage Building ID: 308573
OS Grid Reference: SP3634290752
OS Grid Coordinates: 436342, 290752
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5135, -1.4659
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH AVENUE ROAD
SP39SE (South side)
2/35 Church of All Saints
Church. C15 tower. Chancel C13, but considerably rebuilt and restored 1889-1891.
Nave and north aisle rebuilt 1946-1947; south aisle added 1957-1958. Designed by
H.N.Jepson. Regular coursed and ashlar sandstone. Plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave,
chancel, west tower, north organ chamber. 3-bay chancel; nave of 3 large bays.
Chancel of regular coursed stone has splay plinth. Low diagonal buttresses and
buttresses flanking east window of 2 offsets. 3-light east window is partly C13,
but with C20 intersecting tracery. Hood mould. C19 gable parapet has kneelers
with carved heads. North and south windows have late C19 cusped Y-tracery; hood
moulds and head stops, probably medieval to north. Late C19 two-bay organ
chamber has diagonal and east buttresses. 3-light Perpendicular-style north east
window. Aisles have 6 lancets. Perpendicular tower of 3 stages. First stage has
western clasping buttresses and quatrefoil panelling to base. Deep-set doorway
inserted below west window cuts into lower part of it. C20 double-leaf doors.
3-light window has deep hollow-chamfered jambs. Hood mould is continued as a
string course. Second stage has diagonal buttresses. Slate clock-face with
moulded frame dated 1813. Third stage has hollow-chamfered 2-light bell-chamber
openings with renewed tracery and louvres. Moulded cornice and embattled
parapet. Wrought iron and gilded weathervane. South east corner has small stair
projection to lower stages. Tudor arch doorway. Interior is plastered. Chancel
has late C19 arched brace roof with stone corbels. North and south arches of 2
chamfered orders, the outer segmental pointed. Late C19 Early English style
chancel arch of 2 orders, the inner with shafts. Tower arch of 2 moulded orders,
the inner with half-octagon responds. George Eliot was baptised in the church.
Most of the church was destroyed by bombing in 1941, and rebuilt by German
prisoners of war.
(VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p177-178; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p231)
Listing NGR: SP3634290752
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.