Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 6 December 1947
English Heritage Building ID: 308580
OS Grid Reference: SP3596193571
OS Grid Coordinates: 435961, 293571
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5388, -1.4712
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH CHURCH LANE
SP39SE (North side)
2/42 Church of St. James
Church. Early C14 north transept, now vestry. Chancel, nave and tower rebuilt
1733 at expense of Gilbert Adderley. Gothicised by Arthur Blomfield 1881.
Sandstone splay plinth throughout is probably medieval. Flemish bond brick with
stone dressings. North transept of regular coursed sandstone. Plain-tile roofs
with terracotta ridge cresting and stone-coped gable parapets. Chancel, nave,
west tower, south porch, north vestry. C13 style. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave.
3-light east window has bar tracery and hood mould with foliage stops. Moulded
sill course steps down and continues across north and south sides. South side
has a 2-light and north side a one-light window with similar tracery. All
openings throughout have brick voussoirs. Moulded stone cornice. Porch has
buttresses flush with front. Doorway of 2 moulded orders with nook shafts, hood
mould with foliage stops, and double leaf doors. Sides have paired trefoil
windows. Nave has 3 windows with cusped Y-tracery, and moulded sill course.
North side is a similar one-window range. Transept has renewed straight-headed
traceried 3-light east window. Buttresses in east and west angles. North side
has blocked medieval window with hood mould and remains of head stops.
Quatrefoil windows inserted to left and right. Plain gable. West wall has 2
large slate headstones attached. Left headstone, dated 1734, has inscription to
Gilbert Adderley: 'He built this church at his sole expence in 1733'. Right:
Thomas Adderley 1757. Fine large coat of arms. Tower of 2 stages with stone
splay course between. Clasping buttresses with gablets. West doorway has moulded
outer and chamfered inner order, and plank door. Hood mould with head stop.
2-light bell-chamber openings have cusped Y-tracery, wood louvres and hood
moulds with foliage stops. South side has 2-light window with round-arched plate
tracery below bell opening. Rose window to east has Star of David tracery. Steep
pyramid roof has lucarnes and weathervane. Interior is plastered. East window
has moulded arches, attached shafts and hood mould. 3-bay boarded barrel roof.
Chancel arch of 1881 of 2 chamfered orders, the inner with half-octagonal
responds, and hood mould with head stops. Nave has C14 north arch of 2 chamfered
orders and hood mould; late C20 enclosed screen. Trenched purlin roof has
chamfered tie and collar beams with braces. Fittings: early C12 font bowl has
intersecting blind arcading; C19 stem. Hexagonal pulpit of 1733 has bolection
and fielded panels. Cut-down C18 panelled pews. Late C19 encaustic tiles and
other fittings. Stained glass: nave south-east by Kempe and Tower 1916.
(VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV, p180; Buildings of England, Warwickshire: p466;
Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1894, p241)
Listing NGR: SP3596193571
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.