If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 6 December 1947
English Heritage Building ID: 308584
OS Grid Reference: SP3655891653
OS Grid Coordinates: 436558, 291653
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5215, -1.4626
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH CHURCH STREET
SP39SE (North-east side)
2/45 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. c.1340. Tower C15; clerestory, nave arcades and nave and aisle roofs
late C15. Chancel north chapel and arcade partly rebuilt early C16. Chancel
extended and chancel arch inserted 1852-1853 by Ewan Christian. Vestry extended
early C20. Ashlar and regular coursed sandstone. C19 plain-tile chancel roof
with some fish-scale tiles and ridge cresting, and lead roofs with moulded
cornice and embattled parapets. Coped gable parapets. Aisled nave, chancel and
chancel chapels, west tower, north vestry. Mostly Perpendicular style. 4-bay
chancel, 4-bay nave. Splay and moulded plinths throughout. Chancel has angle
buttresses of 2 offsets, with steep gablets, mouldings and carving, and
crocketed and gableted pinnacles. 5-light east window has reticulated tracery
with hood mould and head stops. Similar north and south buttresses, but without
pinnacles. Moulded frieze. North side has 3-light window. Rainwater heads dated
1853. North chapel and aisle in one. East diagonal buttress of 2 offsets.
3-light east window has curvilinear tracery. First and second bays have 3-light
windows with simple tracery, and small shouldered doorway between. Third bay has
2-light window with reticulated tracery. Large buttress. Fourth bay has
straight-headed window. Vestry adjoins next two bays. Diagonal buttresses. East
doorway has hood mould and plank door. North east corner has external stack with.
octagonal shaft. 3-light uncusped west window. Aisle north west doorway of 3
moulded orders has C19 plank door. Both aisles have 2-light west windows with,
reticulated tracery. 8-bay clerestory of 3-light windows with continuous
mouldings. South chapel of 4 narrow bays. Low diagonal buttress with ogee niche,
and south buttresses. Large 3-light east window has renewed reticulated tracery.
To south first and third 3-light windows are set high up. Second bay has early
C14 window of 3 stepped cusped lancets with roll mouldings. 2-light south east
window has reticulated tracery. Both windows have hood moulds with head stops.
Moulded cornice has remains of carvings. South west corner has canted stair
projection with high plinth and small Tudor-arch door in right side. Lower 4-bay
aisle has diagonal and south buttresses of 3 moulded offsets. Western bay has
elaborately moulded doorway with ballflower decoration, inner 4-centred arched
doorway, and blind tracery in tympanum. C19 double-leaf doors. Short 3-light
window above has sill course forming hood mould of doorway. Other bays have
large 3-light windows. Hood moulds with return stops throughout. Tower of 3
stages with splay string courses. Diagonal buttresses of 6 offsets. West doorway
of 2 broad-chamfered orders has C19 double-leaf doors with decorative ironwork.
3-light window above has hood mould with head stops. Second stage has round
clock face with moulded stone frame, set in moulded stone star-shaped panel.
Third stage has 2-light bell-chamber openings with largely renewed tracery, and
hood moulds. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles,
renewed to south west. Octagonal south east turret rises above parapet. Interior
is entirely plastered and whitewashed. Chancel has 3-bay north arcade of 2
moulded orders, of varying widths. Western arch is higher, and has outer
segmental pointed arch and different mouldings. C14 south arcade of 2 wide,
shallow, chamfered orders, the outer continuous. Head corbel to south east. C19
wagon roof has painted chamfered arched braces and boarding, moulded wall plate
and corbels. C19 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders has spandrels with pierced
tracery. Nave has 4-bay arcades of 2 orders with piers of moulded lozenge
section; mouldings continue up to frame clerestory windows. Tower arch of 3
broad-chamfered orders. Nave and aisles have Perpendicular painted, moulded and
panelled roofs with carved bosses; principal bosses are gilded. South chapel has
corbel head in east wall. Fittings: C19 octagonal stone font and stalls;
octagonal wood pulpit dated 1902. Carved oak reredos dated 1927. South chapel
has piscina with crocketed ogee arch combined with a credence shelf. Vaulted
sedile has nodding ogee crocketed canopy and pinnacles. Monuments: chancel has
chamfered segmental-pointed tomb recess in north wall. Alabaster chest tomb of
Sir Harmaduke Constable, 1560, has recumbent effigy and shield panels. Wall
monuments: north east: William Craddock, 1833. Neoclassical, with draped urn and
panel. By the Patent Works, Westminster. North west: Mary Combes 1668. Composite
columns with sections of a pediment, achievement of arms, and shaped raised
panel. Swags and skulls. Predella has medallion of a head. South east: Reverend
John Ryder 1791. Broken pediment with consoles and flaming urn, and oval panel
with palms. South: Anthony Trotman 1662 and Abigail 1703. Large and ambitious,
with 2 busts on inscribed pedestal. Architectural frame of pilaster panels with
painted cartouches of arms and large moulded entablature with drapery. Cartouche
of arms with 4 gilt-winged heads, fruit, and putti to left and right. Predella
has corpse in a winding sheet.
(VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV, p168-170; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP3656091658
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.