Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 1 July 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 308597
OS Grid Reference: SP3592786919
OS Grid Coordinates: 435927, 286919
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4790, -1.4724
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH HIGH STREET
SP38NE (West side)
5/57 Church of All Saints
Church. C14/C15 tower. Remainder of church rebuilt 1888-1890. Designed by G.F.
Bodley and T. Garner. Tower of local sandstone ashlar. Remainder of red Runcorn
sandstone ashlar. Plain-tile roofs have parapets with moulded cornices and coped
gable parapets, with gablet kneelers to porches. Aisled nave, chancel, south
chancel chapel, north vestries, north transept, north and south porches, west
tower. Perpendicular style. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splay and moulded plinth
throughout. Chancel has large east buttresses of 2 offsets and large gablets.
Large 5-light window with Tudor flower decoration, moulded sill course and hood
mould. Cross finial. North vestries are of 2 storeys to east. 2 straight-headed
windows of 2 trefoiled lights. 3-light segmental-pointed window above.
Shallow-pitched gable. Embattled octagonal turret in angle of chancel. North
side has small chamfered doorway with hood mould and plank door. Straight-headed
window above and to left and larger window west of buttress are of 2 lights with
reticulated tracery. North transept has buttresses of 2 offsets to north west
and south west corners. 4-light window. Gable has pinnacle. Return sides have
embattled parapets. 4-bay north aisle has 2 buttresses with gablets. North west
porch has diagonal buttresses. Doorway has continuous chamfered outer order and
moulded inner order with half-octagonal responds, and hood mould. Mid C20
part-glazed doors to both porches. Three 2-light windows. 3-light west windows
to both aisles. South aisle and chancel chapel in one. 4-light east and 3-light
south east windows are straight-headed with reticulated tracery. South west
porch has angle buttresses with gablets and doorway of 2 chamfered orders. Aisle
has buttresses and two 2-light windows. Nave gable has gablet kneelers and
turret with ogee gables, pinnacles and spirelet. Tower of one large stage.
Moulded plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets. Low west doorway of 2
chamfered orders has hood mould and C19 studded 6-panelled door. 3-light west
window has restored tracery. Small straight-headed opening above. Large 2-light
bell-chamber openings have transom and louvres. To west upper part is covered by
a square slate clock-face in moulded sandstone frame, probably early C19. East
side has similar clock-face dated 1817 in Gothick surround. Segmental-arched
opening below. Embattled parapet with small pinnacles. Interior is plastered.
Arches of 2 chamfered orders have responds and half-shafts between each bay with
moulded capitals. Chancel has north and south arches, and small low chamfered
arches. North side has large internal mullioned window with king mullion and
central transom, trefoiled lights and hood mould. Chancel and nave have arched
brace roofs. Chancel arch of 3 orders, the outer segmental pointed. 5-bay
arcades have continuous hood moulds. Tower arch of 2 chamfered segmental pointed
arches. Aisles have segmental-pointed doorways. Arches to chapels. North chapel,
now vestry, has coved timber east gallery with traceried balustrade. Large east
opening onto it has elaborate timber tracery. Fittings: traceried reredos,
sanctuary panelling, altar rails, stalls and octagonal pulpit. Octagonal front.
Rood screen of 1929. North vestry screen of 1933. Stained glass: east window
1890. Monuments: chancel south wall: Elizabeth Howlett 1776. John Howlett 1820;
signed Seager, Coventry. Simple architectural frames and panels.
(VCH: Warwickshire, Vol VI, p29; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p89;
Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1894, p32)
Listing NGR: SP3592786919
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.