If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Bourton Hall and Attached Former Catholic Chapel
Date Listed: 3 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 308664
OS Grid Reference: SP4371870458
OS Grid Coordinates: 443718, 270458
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3305, -1.3599
Explore more of the area around Bourton and Draycote, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
BOURTON AND DRAYCOTE MAIN STREET
SP47SW (West side)
1/23 Bourton Hall and attached
former Catholic Chapel
Country house and attached former Catholic chapel of St. Mary and St. Joseph.
House said to be dated 1791. Built for John Shuckburgh. Additions to north and
west sides, c.1880 for Richard Shuckburgh. Remodelled and entrance range,
quadrant link and chapel added 1906-1908 by Harold A. Peto for James Shaw.
Restored 1980-1981. C18 range and late C19 additions of sandstone ashlar.
Entrance range and rear additions of roughcast brick with sandstone dressings.
Quadrant of timber with ashlar plinth. Slate hipped roofs; stone end stacks have
cornices. Complex double-depth plan with service wings to rear. Remodelled in
early C18 style. Garden front to south, originally entrance front, of 3 storeys
with 2-storey addition on left; 4 bays. Originally symmetrical. Late C18 sill
courses and string course to ground and first floors, doorway and architraves to
central bay, and moulded cornice. Tripartite Roman Doric doorway has unfluted
half-columns and pilasters, and projecting central pediment. C20 double-leaf
glazed door with fanlight in moulded stone architrave with keystone, and 4-pane
sashes. 2-light casement above in pedimented Ionic aedicule with balustrade
below. 2 large 3-storey canted bays have window surrounds of 1906. Ground floor
has moulded eared architraves with pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice.
First floor has moulded architraves with alternating pediments. Second floor has
moulded architraves throughout. Addition has 3-bay Italian Rennaissance style
loggia of Ionic columns and pilasters. String course. Venetian window above has
French window with balustraded balcony. Plain parapet. Vest entrance front of 2
storeys and attic; 9-window range. Pedimented 3-bay centre. Large painted porch
of Ionic columns and half-columns. Double-leaf fielded 6-panelled doors with
fanlight in moulded stone architrave with keystone. Sashes in moulded stone
architraves, with pediments to ground floor and cornices above. Pediment has
oculus with carved stone wreath and palm leaves. Left range has 8-pane sashes
above concave quadrant gallery. Right range has string course. Tripartite window
with cornice; Venetian window above. Right corner has 2-bay return side of
loggia. Plain parapet. East front is a 3-storey, 5-bay range with a 2-storey
canted addition of c.1880 to right. Detailing similar to south front.
Single-storey projection to third and fourth bays has balustrade. Canted range.
has central French window. Hipped roof has deep eaves. Single-storey 3-bay
roughcast range to right has modillion cornice. Large central c20 French window.
Octagonal glazed cupola has lead roof. Interior: large entrance hall opening to
large open well staircase of Ashburnham House type. Several rooms have early c18
style plasterwork ceilings of c.1906. Doorway on first floor has Italian
Renaissance style ornamental pilasters, entablature with winged heads and
segmental panel, probably imported from elsewhere. Chapel and gallery in Italian
Renaissance style. 2-storey, 5-bay gallery has moulded sill course. Composite
giant pilaster to right. Pilasters between each bay to ground floor, and Tuscan
half-columns above. 2-light casements, on first floor round-arched with blind
balustrading below, have bullion glazing. Moulded entablature. Chapel at right
angles to house. Dated 1908. Limestone ashlar with moulded plinth. Entablature
and modillion cornice. One storey; 3 bays. Pedimented front has ornamented giant
composite angle pilasters. Datestone in right corner has architects name. Portal
of white marble has ornamented composite pilasters, moulded entablature with
griffons holding a shield and semi-circular pediment with antefixae and
acroterion. Typanum has relief copy of Raphael's Sposalizio, the marriage of
Saints Mary and Joseph. Panelled door. Small windows to left and right have
elaborately moulded architraves with iron grilles. Moulded wheel window above
entrance. Pediments to front and rear have a small oculus. Pedimented bellcote
has moulded round arch. Left return side has composite angle pilasters, the left
with sunk panels, the right ornamented. Round arched 2-light windows at first
floor level have moulded arch and capitals, detached column, arched lights with
half and quarter columns, and tracery. Single-storey projecting pedimented
range. Blind front. Irregular left return side has panelled door in moulded
architrave, and moulded 2-light mullioned window. Right return side has 2-light
straight-headed window recessed behind paired round-arched openings. Interior
now divided horizontally. Upper part has walls lined with white marble. Deep
coffered part-gilded wooden ceiling.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.216-127; Ingersoll Engineers: Bourton
Hall, A Short History).
Listing NGR: SP4371870458
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.