If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 6 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 308665
OS Grid Reference: SP4362770240
OS Grid Coordinates: 443627, 270240
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3285, -1.3612
Explore more of the area around Bourton and Draycote, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
BOURTON AND DRAYCOTE MAIN STREET
SP47SW (West side)
1/24 Church of St. Peter
06/10/60 (Formerly listed under Bourton
on Dunsmore C.P.)
Church. C13 origins, rebuilt C14. Clerestory and north aisle added, tower
rebuilt and major restoration 1842 and 1850 by J. Potter. Chancel restored 1897.
Squared coursed blue lias; chancel north wall, vestry, tower and nave west wall
of squared coursed limestone. Chancel east wall of lias and limestone rubble.
South aisle has lower part of regular coursed sandstone. Dressings of sandstone,
with some limestone to north side. Old tile roofs have coped gable parapets with
gablet kneelers and C19 cross finials. Aisled nave, chancel, north transept
chapel and vestry, and south-west tower. Varied Gothic and Gothic Revival
styles. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splayed plinths and diagonal buttresses of 2
offsets. Most windows have hood moulds; some have head stops. 3-light east
window has intersecting tracery. C19 south priest's door has eroded C13 moulded
jambs with wood lintel. 3-light straight-headed Decorated windows to chancel and
aisles. South aisle has double plinth. 3-light moulded mullioned east window.
3-bay clerestory has paired trefoiled round-arched lights under chamfered
straight head. Transept has north gable. 2-light C19 east window has geometrical
tracery. 3-light C19 north window has reticulated tracery. Vestry has east
window with Y-tracery. C19 porch in angle of transept and aisle has doorway of 2
chamfered orders with hood mould. Mid C19 Gothic Revival iron gate. Aisle has
north-west window. Nave has double-leaf west doors in surround of 2 chamfered
orders with hood mould. 2-light north aisle and nave west windows have C19
geometrical tracery. Sill course, stepped up in 2 stages from aisle window.
Tower of 3 stages. Moulded string course and quoins. South-east buttress. First
stage has small west window with Y-tracery. Second stage has stone clockface to
west, and a trefoiled lancet to east and south. Third stage becomes octagonal.
2-light bell openings have plate tracery. Spire has lucarnes and weathercock.
Interior is plastered. Chancel has C17 moulded and cusped king post roof. Ribbed
north door in chamfered surround. Plastered chancel arch and nave arch to
transept, have inner chamfered and outer moulded orders without imposts. Arcades
of 2 chamfered orders. 3-bay south arcade has eastern arch dying abruptly into
wall. Octagonal shafts. C19 similar 2-bay north arcade has half-octagonal east
repond and west impost. Moulded crown post roof has wall posts and corbels, one
with incised animal head. South aisle has trefoiled ogee piscina. Aisles have
lean-to roofs. North transept, known as the Shuckburgh chapel, has C19
arch-braced and scissor-braced 2-bay roof. Arched west door in segmental-pointed
recess. Fittings: C13/early C14 octagonal font has trefoiled gables. 2-decker
Jacobean pulpit dated 1607. Chancel has some linenfold panelling from Shenton
Hall, Leicestershire. C18 fielded panel with cornice from Combe Abbey. C17
turned baluster altar rails. C19 box pews. Monuments: chancel south: Reverend
William Huddesford 1770. Wall monument with open pediment. South aisle: Thomas
Worcester 1698. Wall monument with segmental pediment, crest cartouche, volutes
and slate panel, Chapel has stone effigey of a lady of c.1300, upright against
south wall. C18 floor slabs, and C19 Gothic wall monuments to Shuckburgh family.
Hatchments of Sophia (1848), John (1837), Colonel Richard (1773) and Reverend
Charles (1875) Shuckburgh. Stained glass: south aisle window 1900 by Kempe.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.40-41; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.216; Mrs. S.E. Gethin: The History of Bourton Parish).
Listing NGR: SP4362770240
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.