British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Mancetter Manor and Attached Gatepier, Mancetter

Description: Mancetter Manor and Attached Gatepier

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 November 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 309201

OS Grid Reference: SP3203296623
OS Grid Coordinates: 432032, 296623
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5665, -1.5288

Location: 1 Quarry Lane, Mancetter, Warwickshire CV9 1NJ

Locality: Mancetter
Local Authority: North Warwickshire Borough Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: CV9 1NJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Roman camp, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Mancetter, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP3296 (West side)
11/108 Mancetter Manor and attached
23/11/51 gatepier
(Formerly listed as Mancetter
Manor House)
Manor house. c.1330. Floor inserted in south part of hall late C15 and in north
part C17. South cross-wing added c.1580. Some early C18 alterations. North part
of main range extended forward slightly in 1811. Some C19/C20 alterations,
including some refacing of cross-wings with sham timber-framing and replacement
of windows. Timber framed: close studding with plastered infill. Main range has
front mostly of rendered brick with dentil cornice. Old plain-tile roof; large
rendered external stacks to return sides and ridge stack have C17 whitewashed
brick shafts with pilaster strips. Single-ended aisled hall house with
cross-wing, extended to double-ended plan and with minor additions to rear. 2
storeys; 6-window range. 4-bay main range has 3-bay right part. Recessed porch
on right with rendered keyed round arch, tapering Doric pilaster to left and
simple entablature with dentil cornice. Pointed arched doorway inside, of 3
moulded wood orders, may be medieval. C19/C20 studded part-glazed double-leaf
doors. Ground floor has 2 wood mullioned windows of 2 trefoiled lights. First
floor has chamfered wood cross-windows. Windows have raised quoined surrounds.
Wide recessed left bay has balcony to first floor with cut-out splat balustrade,
and posts with braces supporting beam below cornice. French windows, with
glazing bars to first floor, have early C19 reeded wood surrounds. Ground floor
also has cross-windows to left and right. Cross wings have wood mullioned and
transomed windows, of 5 moulded lights to ground-floor bay windows, and 3
chamfered lights above. Leaded lights throughout. Rear has long wing to left.
Main range, of one storey and attic, has heavy C14 studding and curved braces.
C19/C20 porch on right has ribbed door. Windows of 3 and 4 trefoiled lights. Two
C17 dormers have renewed 4-light wood mullioned and transomed windows. Left wing
has large C19/C20 lean-to addition across return side. Segmental-arched panelled
double-leaf doors. Windows of 3 trefoiled lights to left and 6 to right. Wing
has rough-cast ground floor with 3-light casement to left. First floor has small
one-, 2- and 3-light casements. Right cross-wing with exposed framing has small
range at right angles to right. Large mullioned and transomed canted bay window.
Small 3-light window to right. First floor has irregular fenestration. Gable has
c18 timber bell-turret with keyed segmental arches and pyramid roof. Interior:
room to left of screens passage has C19 panelling and fireplace. Room to left
has moulded cross beams with moulded post and curved bracket of c.1480, and C17
panelling. Fireplace, possibly partly early C18, has basket arch; rear wall has
bean opened up. Early C18 dog-leg staircase behind has column-on-vase balusters.
Re-set C16/C17 panelling in corridor has panel above door inscribed 15 HF 97,
and below, HOMO BULLA. North cross-wing has east room. with ogee-stop-chamfered
beam. Wide fireplace has early C16 run-out chamfered and moulded bressumer and
iron fireback with the royal arms and inscribed CR. Made-up wood overmantel of 5
alternating carved and plain C17 round arches with split turned balusters. South
wing has east room with chamfered cross beams and altered open fireplace. West
room has early C18 moulded and fielded panelled dado and built-in corner
cupboard with segmental-arched double-leaf doors. On the first floor the massive
hall trusses survive almost intact in 2 rooms. Central truss has very large
trefoiled arch and cambered tie beam. South room has more simply cusped south
truss, and large chamfered wind brace. Plaster vault over French window.
Northern room has large chamfered arch truss between hall and former screens
passage. Wind braces, one of them cusped, to west, moulded wall plates, and
heavy purl in and rafters. Upper part of screens passage, now a corridor, has
north truss against cross-wing with central moulded cusped arch, posts, and
similar smaller arches at right angles across the corridor, dividing off the
former aisles. Doors from this corridor have short flights of steps with
column-on-vase balusters. 6-panelled door to cross wing has moulded panelled
surround; double 6-panelled doors in basket arch to room above hall. North wing
has east room with C14 chamfered arched truss and cambered tie beam, and braces
to ridge. Small room behind has timber-framed partition. Early C18 room beyond
has panelled doors in moulded wood eared and shouldered architraves, panelling
and moulded dentil cornice. Carved wood eared chimneypiece has blind fret
panels. South wing has exposed posts and stud partition, and queen strut roof
with wind braces. There are a variety of C16, C17, C18 and early C19 panelled
doors throughout the house. Mancetter Manor was the home of the martyr Robert
G1over. Gatepier attached to the right side of the north wing is early C18.
Rendered, with stone cornice and ball finial. Approximately 3 metres high.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p 347; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp 117-119)

Listing NGR: SP3203296623

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.