British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Grendon

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 25 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 309266

OS Grid Reference: SK2872000918
OS Grid Coordinates: 428720, 300918
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6053, -1.5773

Location: Grendon, Warwickshire CV9 3DP

Locality: Grendon
Local Authority: North Warwickshire Borough Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: CV9 3DP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Grendon, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

5/32 Church of All Saints


- ll

Church. C12 origins, Chancel rebuilt early C13; clerestory added Lib, North
aisle and arcade mid C13; early C14 south aisle and arcade, Nave clerestory has
C15 north and Cl6/C17 south windows, South porch is dated 1820, Tower added by
R.C, Hussey 1845. Sandstone, mostly regular coursed but with ashlar tower.
chancel has lower parts of rubble, Low-pitched lead roofs are largely hidden by
parapets with moulded cornices and copings, Aisled nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has but-tresses of 2 offsets.
3-light east window has late C19 geometrical tracery. North side has 2
buttresses. 2 chamfered C13 lancers have moulded sill course and string course
above. Large round-arched 3-light western window has Perpendicular tracery.
2-bay clerestory has double-chamfered 2-light mullioned windows. South side has
buttress with scratched sun dial. Moulded doorway has hood mould with head stops
and C19 plank door. Blocked central lancet, and fragments of eastern lancet.
Blocked large straight-headed eastern window has small buttress below, 3-light
western window has largely renewed reticulated tracery. Blocked central
clerestory window. Nave clerestory has straight-headed windows of 2 ogee lights.
Decorated style south aisle. Porch is rendered. Slate roof has concave
stone-coped gable parapet with datestone. C20 double-leaf doors in plain arch,
Return sides have 3 blind lancets. Inside is a C14 doorway of 2 continuous
moulded orders, the outer with ball mouldings; Cl9 door. Aisle has moulded
plinth. Angle and 2 south buttresses of 2 offsets, mostly with trefoiled gablets
to first stage. Splay sill course. Tracery is largely renewed throughout.
4-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery with hood mould, head stops
and fleuron . 2-light south windows have reticulated tracery. Cornice has ball
flower frieze. Large west window bias had its tracery removed, probably tiff,
North aisle has 4 buttresses, of 2 offsets to east and west. 3-light east window
has reticulated tracery, Moulded C13 north-west doorway has hood mould and plank
door, C19 straight-headed north windows of 2 ogee lights. Rendered
straight-headed 2-light Perpendicular west window. Tower is Gothic Revival
Perpendicular style, but still in the Georgian pre-archaeological tradition with
inaccurate details, 3 stages with moulded string courses, splay and moulded
plinth and moulded sill course. Full-height angle buttresses have gablets to
offsets, Moulded low west and south doorways have hood moulds with lion masks
and studded panelled doors. North side has 3-light straight-headed window.
2-light windows on each side have hood moulds with head stops. Band of 2
widely-spaced mouldings between stages, Low second stage has narrow lancet to
each side. High third stage has 2-light openings with hood moulds and louvres to
bell chamber. Blank moulded circles above, with clock face to south. Deeply
coved cornice has crow-stepped embattled parapet above, arid octagonal pinnacles
with moulded cornices and finials. Interior is almost wholly plastered. Chancel,
nave and south aisle have very shallow pitched, almost flat, plaster roofs with
moulded ribs and foliage bosses, probably of c.1845. Chancel has mid//late Cl9
stone south arch to Chetwynd chapel of 2 moulded orders on Early English style
caloni+ettes with foliage cDrbels and outer segmental pointed arch; the east jamb
has a squint with detached shalt+ Early C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders,
the outer continuous, the inner with responds and moulded capitals. Nave has aid
OS north arcade of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and east respond,
and moulded bases and capitals with nailhead ornament. Taller arid wider
Decorated style south arcade of 2 sunk quadrant orders, quatrefoil piers with
fillets, and moulded capitals North aisle has lean-to roof. Fittings:
Commandment boards have panelled surrounds, possibly CI8, with Ionic capitals
and flaming urns. Late C17 altar rails have twisted balusters, a carved frieze
and terminal figures. Early/mid C17 pulpit with elaborate arcaded and carved
decoration. Simple C15 octagonal font. C18 marble font with oval basin. Nave
west pew, said to have been the Mayor's Pew, trod the Church of St. Mary,
DOMINI 1618. Carved and ornamented 3-BAY arcade with openwork volutes and Ionic
pilasters, and plain and carved panels. South side has scrolled half-door. it is
enclosed within Cl9/C20 Tudor-arched frame supporting the organ, with piece of
C18 Rococo panelling, possibly re-used from the reredos. 5-bay screen of c.1680 c. 1650
to the south chapel of the Chetwynd family has moulded and ornamented arches
with panelled Corinthian piers and winged head spandrels and above, 2 trumpeting
angels, a large cartouche of arms and flaming urns. C19 stalls. Stained glass:
east window 186l; Chetwynd chapel east window has heraldic glass, probably early
Cl9 but with earlier fragments. Monuments: mid C15 alabaster effigy of a lady
and incised effigy slab of Margaret Chetwynd 1539 in chancel. A large collection
of good quality monuments and many hatchments to the Chetwynd family include in
the chapel a large tablet with balusters, shields and painted decoration, and
inscriptions to John 1593, and Margaret Wall monuments with cartouches, panels
and varying ornament, and inscriptions to Walter 1673, Frances l673, and William
1676, in chancel and chapel. Life-size statue of a mourning woman and an urn,
signed Robert Taylor, in a chancel recess has inscription to Mary 1750.
Architectural tablets include those in Frances 1686, Sir George 1850 but in C17
style, Nicholas Penny 1707 and Nicholas and Francis Penny, late C18
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp300.301; VCH Warwickshire: Vol IV,

Listing NGR: SK2872000918

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.