British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Kingsbury

Description: Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 22 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 309289

OS Grid Reference: SP2147696265
OS Grid Coordinates: 421476, 296265
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5638, -1.6846

Location: Church Lane, Kingsbury, Warwickshire B78 2LJ

Locality: Kingsbury
Local Authority: North Warwickshire Borough Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: B78 2LJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Kingsbury, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP29NW (North side) -- -'----'- -------Church of Saints PeL

8/53 Church of Saints Peter and
22/07/53 Paul

GV ll

Church. C12 origins, remodelled c.l300. Late C14 north vestry. Early C15 south
doorway and pant, Aisles and chapel raised early C16. Top stage of tower added
and west wall rebuilt 1610; restored 1928, Restoration l882-1887. Porch restored
1938, Sandstone, mostly regular coursed, with splay plinths. Old plain-tile
roofs have coped gable parapets. Nave has east gable raised in C19 brick with
stone coping. Aislad nave, chancel, north vestry arid transept chapel, south
porch, west tower. 3-bay chancel, nave of 2 very wide bays. Chancel has splay
plinth. North-east and south angle buttresses of 2 offsets. Large 3-light east
window has cusped intersecting tracery, and remains of hood mould. Hood moulds
with head stops throughout. Gable has C19 cross finial. Blocked late C17
straight-headed south doorway. Late C14 eastern and western 3-light windows have
Perpendicular tracery; C19 central 2-light window. All have splayed jambs.
Mid/late C18 monument between and below eastern and central windows has pediment
with winged heads, ornamented entablature and panelled surround, Lean-to vestry
has east wall flush with chancel. Brick depressed ogee-arched doorway has plank
door and large cross-glazed overlight. Blocked remains of small ogee north
lancet. 3-bay aisles have splay plinths, small C14 diagonal buttresses of 2
offsets, and embattled parapets with moulded cornices. 3-light east window has
renewed cusped intersecting tracery with old hood mould and head stops. Porch,
possibly originally wholly timber-frame, has moulded jambs and cambered tie
beam, and close-studded gable with glazed infill. Late C20 glazed double doors
Interior has queen strut roof with cusped wind braces. Round-arched doorway of 2
moulded orders with hood mould has wood tympanum with blind tracery and blind
lancet-panelled double doors of c.1821. South aisle has 3-light east window with
renewed cusped intersecting tracery. 2-light eastern window has uncusped
Perpendicular tracery. Central western and west windows have Y-tracery. North
aisle has C19 buttress. Bricked-up chamfered doorway. 2-light double-chamfered
mullioned windows. Above are two 3-light windows. Eastern window is arched, with
mullions. Straight-headed western window. Both have arched lights. North chapel
has angle buttresses of 2 off sets. Coved cornice with mask frieze and parapet,
3-light east and similar north windows have simple cusped intersecting tracery.
Very shallow-pitched north gable has another much narrower and steeper rendered
C17 gable on top. Moulded west doorway has C19 stud door. 2-light window in
angle. Tower of 3 stages with splay courses and high moulded and splayed plinth,
Full-height west diagonal buttresses of 7 offsets. First stage has small 2-light
west window. Stone above is inscribed 'THIS TOWER RESTORED 1928'. Second stage
has a small quatrefoil window, and high up, a window of 2 small basket-arched
lights. Bell chamber has 2-light Perpendicular openings, partly renewed, with
Y-tracery and louvres. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet has crocketed
pinnacles with weathervanes. North side has central buttress, and a plain
corbel. Large stair projection in south-west angle. Third stage has painted
clock face to south. Interior has plastered nave and aisles. Chancel has piscina
and 3 sedilia of c.1300 with trefoiled arches, hood moulds and head stops.
Blocked north and straight-headed south doorways. North arch of 2 chamfered
orders has responds with fillets and moulded capitals. C19 two-bay king post
roof has celled upper part. Chancel arch, dated 1887, of 2 chamfered orders
without responds, Nave has moulded cornice and plaster ceiling. Arcades of 2
very wide bays have C12 round piers with scalloped capitals, decorated to north,
and square responds, but with arches of 2 chamfered orders of c.1300. Tower arch
of 2 outer continuous chamfered orders, and inner orier with responds and
moulded capitals. Aisles have very shallow-pitched roofs, possibly C16, with
moulded beams and carved bosses. Arch from north aisle to chapel of 2 chamfered
orders; inner order has carved corbel with a green an to the north. and a man
with a monkey to the south, Chapel has niche in east wall with trefoiled arch
and blind trefoil-panelled surround. East piscina has trefoiled arch. Ceiled
queen strut roof, possibly C16. Fittings: octagonal font has plain bowl and stem
with blind trefoiled arches and trefoil spandrels. Late C19 Early English style
pulpit. Stalls and pews have C18 panels. Stained glass: east window 188S.
Monuments: chancel east wall: Elizabeth Cope 1716. Panel with volute surround
segmental pediment with cartouche, and gadrooned apron. Nave west wall: James
Luttrell 1788. Drapery panel with winged head in arched surround with broken
pediment and urn, and volutes; above is a relief medallion of a woman and
anchor, suspended from drapery. South aisle; Simon Luttrell, Earl Carhampton.
Signed E. Grubb 1788. Large double panel with volutes and central console, and
above a cherub with urn etc. and an achievement of arms against an obelisk,
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire p327 VCH; Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp109-l10)

Listing NGR: SP2147696265

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.