British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Chad, Wishaw

Description: Church of St Chad

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 8 September 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 309427

OS Grid Reference: SP1767794570
OS Grid Coordinates: 417677, 294570
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5487, -1.7407

Location: The Gravel, Wishaw, Warwickshire B76 9QB

Locality: Wishaw
Local Authority: North Warwickshire Borough Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: B76 9QB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Wishaw, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

4/113 Church of St. Chad
- II*
Church. C13 in origin with C14 and C15 alterations and additions and a major
addition of circa 1700; restored 1886-7. Dressed sandstone blocks; plain tile
roof with stone coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave with side aisles and 2-bay
chancel with south vestry. West tower: circa 1700. Gothic Revival style. 4
stages with third stage moulded off-set string, parapet string and crenellated
parapet with continuous moulded coping around the merlons and embrasures. West
door with raised keystone and bolection moulded surround containing a fanlight
with radiating glazing bars. Large pointed window above with similar mouldings
and glass within a network of lead cames. Above that, and to both north and
south face of the first stage is a circular window, and at belfry level paired
pointed windows, all with similar mouldings. Nave and aisles: the north aisle is
C15 and has a square-headed window in the centre of the north side containing 2
trefoil-headed lights beneath a 4-centred arch with sunken spandrels. To the
right of this is a blocked pointed doorway. The east window is pointed and
contains 3 lights which reflect a graded lancet arrangement: the central light
rises to the soffit of the arch whereas the others are lower and have
Perpendicular tracery over. Mid-C14 south aisle with some C19 renewal of the
stonewark. 2-light south window with truncated reticulations beneath a square
head. Pointed east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights and reticulated tracery
incorporating Perpendicular elements. Late C15 clerestory of paired trefoil
headed lights beneath semi-circular heads. In the east gable of the nave the
former roofline can be discerned. Chancel: early C14. Pointed east window of 3
lights with reticulated tracery and keel-moulded hood with stops carved as human
heads. In the west bay of both north and south sides is a single-light window
with trefoiled ogee head cut out of a single stone. C19 vestry aligned
north-south with 3 trefoil-headed lights to the south gable and a lateral stack.
Interior: the C13 north arcade was remodelled in the C15: pointed arches of 2
chamfered orders, the outer with broach stops. The westernmost of the 2 columns
is C13 and cylindrical, the other is C15 and octagonal as are the 2 responds,
each column and respond has an appropriate moulded capital. Mid-C14 south arcade
with octagonal columns, moulded capitals and pointed arches of 2 chamfered
orders. Tall pointed tower arch of circa 1700 with outer hollow segment moulded
order and inner semi-cylindrical order, both interrupted by moulded imposts. The
arch is fitted by a C19 wooden screen with pointed windows at second stage
level. Acutely pointed early C14 chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders.
The chancel windows have segmental pointed rere-arches and there is a cupboard
in the north wall with a pointed arch. Squint between south aisle and chancel
allowing the occupants of the former a view of the altar. Fittings: C18 baluster
font with gadrooned basin. C19 font, octagonal on cylindrical pedestal with
waterholding base. C19 Gothic pulpit, removed from St. Mark's Church, Ladywood
which was demolished in 1947. Monuments: south aisle: Andrew Hacket, died 1709;
cartouche surmounted by an heraldic shield. John Lisle, died 1673; large
aedicular wall monument with Ionic columns on brackets and scrolled pediment
with central urn. Lisle Hacket, Bishop of Lichfield, died 1728; central panel
with side scrolls, and brackets beneath flanking a pair of heraldic shields;
broken pediment containing an achievement of arms, and behind it an obelisk; the
2 corners are each surmounted by an urn spouting flame. Mary Lisle, died 1676;
draped cloth surmounted by an heraldic shield garlanded with flowers. North
aisle: Thomas Lander, died 1809; oval tablet surmounted by an urn. Howard
Procter Ryland, died 1905; aedicule with fluted corinthian columns and
semi-circular pediment containing an achievement of arms. John Hacker, died
1718; tablet with scrolled sides, broken segmental pediment with achievement of
arms within. Lady Hacker, died 1716; acdicule with fluted Corinthian columns and
semi-circular pediment with achievement of arms in front of it. Nave: First
World War memorial; tablet with images of St. George and St. Chad within niches.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p475; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV (1965),

Listing NGR: SP1767794570

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.