Description: Country Club, Old Literary Institute
Date Listed: 1 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 309690
OS Grid Reference: SZ4987189135
OS Grid Coordinates: 449871, 89135
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6997, -1.2952
ST JAMES'S STREET
(County Club, Old
(Formerly listed as
No 18A St James's Square)
SZ 4989 SE 2/82 1.10.53
Designed by John Nash 1811. The last bay to the corner of No 48 High
Street qv forms part of the same premises. 2 storeys faced in ashlar.
5 windows, the centre 3 divided by Tuscan pilasters, frieze and 3 bay
pediment above. Blind attic with coping to sides. Block string courses
between storeys. Windows: recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills,
flat arches with keystones. Ground floor has rusticated arcade of 5
openings, the centre 3 slightly projecting with segmental arches, the outer
ones round headed, all with keystones. To the south and set back an
extension of 3 storeys in rough dressed ashlar. Gable end slate roof.
2 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, the ground floor
window is wider, all have stone lintels. Recessed door of 6 fielded
panels, 2 glazed, stone lintel over.
Listing NGR: SZ4987189135
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.