Description: St Dominic's Priory
Date Listed: 1 February 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 309779
OS Grid Reference: SZ4902087569
OS Grid Coordinates: 449020, 87569
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6857, -1.3075
St Dominic's Priory
SZ 48 NE 17/324A
Built 1865-6 by Gilbert Blount in Gothic style still showing some
Pugin influence. 2 storeyed main block, facing west, in coursed rubble.
Gable end slate roof. 2 small triangular dormers. 5 windows, 3 of them
with 2 lights, stone mullion and cusped arches. Doorway with triangular
dripstone, 2 small narrow lights above, also with cusped arches. Niche
with statue. The main block is flanked by an apsed chapel with bell croft
to the south and a 3 storeyed wing to the north with a crenellated
tower feature to the front which has a 1st floor oriel and below a
panelled door with a moulded 4 centred arch. The inner facade of the
north wing has 4 windows, as on the main block and a rectangular stone
roofed bay window of 4 lights with mullions and transom. The outer facade
has half hipped gables, the windows similar to the main block but taller.
Listing NGR: SZ4902087569
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.