Description: Coach House
Date Listed: 14 February 1992
English Heritage Building ID: 310145
OS Grid Reference: SZ5933587585
OS Grid Coordinates: 459335, 87585
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6849, -1.1615
SZ58NE WEST LANE
1352-0/1/112 Coach House
Former stabling and coach house, now house. Early C19
attributed to John Nash. Built around 3 sides of a courtyard.
Red brick in English bond with some vitrified bricks on stone
rubble base. Slate roof 2 storeys. Central pediment with
oculus and round-headed doorcase to ground floor. Internal
courtyard has blank oculi to 1st floor and round-headed
arches. Ends have pedimented gables with lunettes and casement
windows under round-headed arches. North-west front has wooden
open pedimented doorcase with fanlight and 6-fielded panelled
door. Cobbled stone forecourt which displays the Brading Town
Gun, a C16 bronze gun on a probable C19 wooden gun carriage.
The gun is inscribed "JOHN AND ROBERT OWINE BRETHRIN MADE THIS
PESE 1549" It was housed in the gun shed in Brading churchyard
(see item 6/81). It was last fired at the time of the passing
of the Reform Act of 1832 when it cracked.
Listing NGR: SZ5940287390
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.