Description: Lychgate to Church of St Blasius
Date Listed: 14 February 1992
English Heritage Building ID: 310224
OS Grid Reference: SZ5789280563
OS Grid Coordinates: 457892, 80563
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6219, -1.1830
SZ58SE CHURCH ROAD
1352-0/4/183 Lychgate to Church of St Blasius
Lychgate. 1894. Ashlar and rubble base with timber-framed
superstructure and tiled roof. Stone base about 5ft in height,
battered towards outside. Attached in front are a pair of
wooden gates with pierced carving and elaborate iron brackets
and wooden seats to rear. 2 bays. Front has arched braces with
cusping, date in Roman numerals and embattled bressumer
decorated with Tudor roses. Gable with carved wooden
bargeboards and elaborate painted metal clock face in
pebbledashed surround. Rear has ogee bracing and iron bell.
Inscription records that the lychgate was erected to the
memory of Francis White Popham, Lord of the Manor of Shanklin.
Listing NGR: SZ5789280563
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.