Description: Parish Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 18 July 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 310251
OS Grid Reference: SU1891969244
OS Grid Coordinates: 418919, 169244
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4219, -1.7293
694/1/60 PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
(Formerly listed as:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY)
Founded 1160 (probably on site of earlier church mentioned in 1091). From this period remain 1 doorway in West tower (1 order of zig-zag, 1 order of collonnettes, taking more zig-zag voussoirs, 1 cable-moulded hood and imposts), and West respond of North arcade (fat half-column with scalloped capital), remainder of which was destroyed by fire of 1653.
West tower C15, ashlar, with crenellated parapet, mullioned windows with hood
moulds, weather vane and clocks. Outside walls to nave and two aisles C15, ashlar, but interior was destroyed in fire of 1653 and rebuilt amalgamating nave and North aisle. 6 bays of windows with Perpendicular tracery, buttresses, and South porch.
North wall heightened in 1653 to bring it up to nave level. South arcade also built in 1653 with 5 round arches on large circular piers with necking, spirally scallopped capital, and drop finials at 4 corners of square abaci. This arcade, the most remarkable feature of the church, bears some resemblance to contemporary church building in the Netherlands.
Chancel added in 1874 by Street.
Listing NGR: SU1893769248
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.