Date Listed: 21 October 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 310275
OS Grid Reference: SU1804268809
OS Grid Coordinates: 418042, 168809
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4180, -1.7419
SU 1868 5/149
1870 (designed). 1871-2 built. Architect G E Street. Built in concrete to
the patent method of Charles Drake, who lectured on it to the Civil and Mechanical
Engineers Society in 1875 (reported in Building News 25 June 1875). A very early
use of concrete indeed, with flint aggregate and lump chalk packing. Cement rendering,
A little tile-hanging under eaves, but otherwise no attempt to conceal the material.
Brick strings at plinth and lst floor sill level. Pitched tile roofs. Tall brick
stacks with elaborate cornicing.
3 storeys and basements. Study and dormitory wing to west was formerly the mirror
image of that to east of Cotton House, but was burned down and rebuilt in a subdued
New Brutalist manner circa 1960.
Remainder on irregular plan, each part with its own pitched roof. Very steep
proportions. Windows are mullioned and transomed casements in flush frames,
with moulded cornices over (no transoms on 2nd floor). 2 doors, planked, with
contemporary iron hinges, both with mullioned oblong fanlights, 1 arched.
Listing NGR: SU1804268809
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.