Description: The Town Hall
Date Listed: 21 October 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 310346
OS Grid Reference: SU1887569196
OS Grid Coordinates: 418875, 169196
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4215, -1.7299
The Town Hall
SU 1869 1/1
1902 C E Ponting Architect. Freehandling of William and Mary and Renaissance
styles. 2 storeys, brick plinth with brick ground floor and roughcast lst floor
with brick quoins and dressings. String courses of brick. Steep pitch tiled
roof with projecting bracketed moulded cornice. Domed arcaded lantern on ridge.
Pedimented dormers. Main front is side elevation facing down High Street. Elaborate
stone centrepiece with paired squat Doric columns on pedestals with vertical
entablatures as imposts to entrance arch with keystones. Heavy scrolled brackets
above to large renaissance bay windows with mullioned transomed lights, balcony
and parapet balustrade. Elaborate stone armorial feature above. Either side
of entrance on ground floor are large round headed windows with stone imposts
architrave and keystone, inset panelled balustrade below sills. Dominating position
closing High Street vista.
The Town Hall form a group with Nos 1 to 12 (consec) and Nos 131 to 144
(consec) and Midland Bank.
Listing NGR: SU1888069196
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.