Description: Range of Former Stabling and Coach Houses
Date Listed: 21 October 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 310391
OS Grid Reference: SU1881169007
OS Grid Coordinates: 418811, 169007
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4198, -1.7309
Range of former stabling
and coach houses
SU 1869 1/203
SU 1868 2/203
Early C18. Chequer brick. Bath stone ashlar dressings. Hipped old tile roof.
Brick stacks. 2 storeys. Ashlar quoins. Ashlar consoles to eaves cornice.
At 4 points an ashlar bay breaks forward very slightly to frame 1 segment-headed
planked door and 1 segment-headed planked loft door. Of these only the right
hand one survives entirely; the next one has been altered at ground floor level;
the next one has been altered completely; and the left hand one has been altered
at ground floor level, and ashlar between its floors replaced by brick. Also
surviving from original design on ground floor are:- 3 stone mullioned windows
in ashlar frames (left hand one has lost its original mullion); 1 planked stable
door with ashlar surround. Various C19 or modern casements with glazing bars,
and planked doors.
Design continued in 2 contemporary extensions under same roof and cornice to north.
First one has 1 planked loft door with ashlar surround, 1 formerly stone-mullioned
window in ashlar surround, and 1 modern planked door in original ashlar surround,
but other openings C19/C20. Second one has door in ashlar surround with tripartite
fanlight over, flanked by 2 casements in ashlar surrounds.
Listing NGR: SU1878769030
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.