Description: The Five Alls Public House
Date Listed: 21 October 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 310428
OS Grid Reference: SU1916169117
OS Grid Coordinates: 419161, 169117
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4207, -1.7258
The Five Alls
SU 1969 1/228
1748 (dated rainwater head at rear). Altered in "Renaissance" style in late C19.
Blue brick with red bric k dressings. Right hand part has hipped and sprocketed
old tile roof. Centre has double bargeboarded gable ends to road. Left hand has
pitched modern tile roof. Chequer brick stacks, C19 ones corniced. 2 storeys;
central part 3 storeys, with C19 fish-scale tiles in front, unaltered behind.
Moulded and dentilled brick cornice above 1st floor in celtral part. Central 4
bays break forward slightly. 6 segment-heades sashes with glazing bars on 1st
floor. Ground floor has 3 segment-headed sashes with glazing bars, another one
tripartite, and 1 late C19 half-glazed door in elaborate doorcase (possibly C18);
this has blocked Tuscan pilaaters taking paired moulded consoles linked by festoons
of fruit, which in turn take double-curved pediment with dentils and panelled soffit:
panelled reveals. 2nd storey of central part has 2 wooden mullioned oriel windows
on 3 moulded consoles each.
Right hand side elevation has 3 segment-headed sashes with glazing bars, and 1
door with 6 sunk panels and flat hood on cut brackets.
Between left hand and No 12 runs an iron bar with late-C19 iron escutcheon-shaped
Nos 9 to 12 (consec) The Five Alls public house, stables and coach house and
Nos 14 to 23 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU1916169117
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.