British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Michael, Aldbourne

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: I
Date Listed: 22 August 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 310499

OS Grid Reference: SU2638875825
OS Grid Coordinates: 426388, 175825
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4808, -1.6214

Location: Crooked Corner, Aldbourne, Wiltshire SN8 2BW

Locality: Aldbourne
County: Wiltshire
Country: England
Postcode: SN8 2BW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Village cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

(north side)

9/39 Church of St. Michael



Anglican parish church. C13 - C15. Flint and limestone, some
chequer work. Some sarsen and limestone ashlar tower. Lead and
slate roofs. Nave, and aisles. Transepts. Chancel with north and
south chapels. Tall south porch formerly 2-storey, and infill
chamber between porch and transept. West tower. Elevation to south
with 4-light Tudor arched windows, 3-light and cusped to
clerestory. 3-light Perpendicular windows to transepts and to east
end of chancel side chapels. Chancel has lancets, triple to east
end. Aisles and nave walls crenellated. Tower, erected 1460 by
Richard Goddard, of 3 stages with large angle buttresses decorated
with crocketed triangular projections. West door with 4-centred
arch with 2 casement mouldings and label with figured terminals.
2-stage 4-light window above door and flanking vaulted and
crocketed niches. Bell stage with quatrefoil pierced transennae,
also of 2 cusped stages. Panelled parapet with grotesque
gargoyles. No pinnacles. Bronze bench mark.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays, c1200. Chalkstone on drum columns and
circular abaci. Pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders, the inner
order of westernmost half round. South side decorated with
horizontal zig-zag and lobed ornamentation. Transepts of 1 bay mid
C15 with attached columns between hollow chamfers. Chancel of 1
open bay and east sanctuary with lancets. Nave roof low pitched
with higher roof over by William Butterfield 1863-67, 8 and half
bays, moulded ties intermediate principals and purlins. Boarding
over rafters. Similar roofs to north aisle and transepts, and to
both chancel chapels, the southern ceiled between the purlins.
Rood stair in north-east pier of crossing, and brackets for
figures. The outer face of the south nave door is round headed,
with horizontal zig-zag and elementary dog-tooth, and restored nook
shafts. North chapel has squint to High Altar and damaged piscina,
and ogee headed niche to left of east window, with original red
paint. South chapel includes vestry enclosed with C18 panelling.
Bay between south transept and porch now children's corner, has
panelled intrados to aisle and transept and corbelled stair to
former upper room of porch, the stair removed by Butterfield when
north porch removed. Fittings: Perpendicular screen between
transept and south chapel, much restored in C18 and later. Also
some medieval work in north chancel screen. Font probably C15 with
lozenge panels. Pulpit c1600; highly carved hexagon on 6 wooden
columns. Lectern C19 oak. Other fittings of C19. Monuments:
Chancel: Chest tomb, 1510, limestone, to JOHN STONE, quatrefoil
panels with central shields. Alabaster top incised with figure of
vicar holding chalice. Inscribed border, Oval wall tablet, 1794,
white and grey marble, to NEATE family, by Brewer of Box. Tablet,
1812 Oval white and grey marble, to JOHN NEATE, by Brewer of Box.
Tablet 1833, white marble on black, to STEPHEN AND ANNA MARIA
NEATE, sarcophagus. Unsigned. Wall tablet, 1829 White marble on
black, to ANNA BROWN, small sarcophagus, by Pound of Newbury. White
tablet, 1843, white and black marble, to CAPT. HENRY SEAGRAVE,
governor of The Gambia. Anchor on chest, by Harrison of
Marlborough. North Chapel: Wall monument to EDWARD AND WILLIAM
WALROND, brothers, c1615. Marble. Chest with arms in cartouche
and flying dragons, and strapwork on returns. Above, facing
kneeling figures in niches flanked by marble Ionic columns on
strapwork pedestals. Strapwork cresting with hog terminals. South
Chapel: Wall stone, 1681, to JOHN NORRIS. South Transept:
Monument, 1615, chalkstone, probably to RICHARD GODDARD of Upham
and family. Large chest with strapwork and foliage. Metal shields
missing, Goddard, wife and children kneeling on chest, facing
outwards, 3 mustachioed boys and 1 girl. Recessed arches to rear,
formerly with metal plates, between marbled Corinthian columns
supporting gilded entablature. Masks and foliage in spandrils over
arches. Long strapwork cresting over, with central arms and crown
terminal. Panelled and coloured obelisks at corners. A fine
monument with good detail of costume. Scroll over south door,
1786, to THOMAS GODDARD. Children's Corner: Hatchment, argent, a
chevron gules and three sheaves also gules. DEO PRO NOBIS.
North Aisle: Wall tablet, 1852, to Rev. JOHN SEAGRAM, by Harrison
of Marlborough. Tablet, 1842, white panel on black marble, to
BROOME WITTS and 15 ancestors (sic). Tablet, 1821, white marble on
black, to RICHARD WITTS of New York and relatives. North Aisle:
Royal Arms of Queen Anne. Nave: 3 commemorative ringing boards,
1806, 1837 and 1840. Brasses: South Chapel: Richard Goddard of
Upham and wife, 1495. His dates not completed. Probably the
builder of the tower. Dr. Henry Frekylton, chaplain, 1508.
Clerical figure with book and inscription. Miscellaneous: South
Aisle: Late C16 early C17 chest. Transept: North Persian carpet
of 4 stripes and 3 medallions. C19. North Aisle: 2 timber fire
engines, ADAM and EVE, Bristow of London. References: Pevsner,
[(Buildings of England: Wiltshire).]

Listing NGR: SU2639475822

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.