Description: Pond House
Date Listed: 22 August 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 310534
OS Grid Reference: SU2646075637
OS Grid Coordinates: 426460, 175637
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4791, -1.6204
SU 27 NE ALDBOURNE THE SQUARE
9/74 No 4 (Pond House) and No 5
House, early C18. Whitewashed sarsen rubble with brick dressings.
Tiled roof with central lead flat. 2-storey 4 x 2 bays, without
principal facade. Central entrance on north; glazed door, and
shop, No. 5 with separate entrance in bays 3 and 4. 3-light leaded
windows, segmental headed to ground floor, and central window with
large round leaded fanlight. Brick dentilled eaves. Roof hipped
with left gable stack facing village pond. Added front stack.
Outbuilding on right on skew, 1 bay raised to 2-storey with detail
as main building. Right end extended to rear by 2-storey hipped
bay. Rear elevation with tripartite 12-pane and 16-pane sashes.
The property was the site of the Wells bell foundry from 1760, a
predecessor of the Whitechapel Bellfoundry.
Listing NGR: SU2645375627
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.