If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of the Holy Cross
Date Listed: 22 August 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 310665
OS Grid Reference: SU2738271592
OS Grid Coordinates: 427382, 171592
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4427, -1.6074
SU 27 SE RAMSBURY HIGH STREET
10/207 Church of the Holy Cross
Anglican parish church. C13, early C14, C15 and 1891. Flint with
limestone ashlar dressings. Chancel roughcast. Lead and slate
roofs. Originally cruciform plan, but aisles lengthened in C13-C14
into transepts. Nave, aisles with south porch, chancel part
detached north chapel and west tower. Chancel, lengthened C15. 6-
light transomed east window and 4- and 3-lights on south. Aisles
rebuilt 1891 by Doran Webb, 2-light with pointed segmental heads.
Nave clerestory 3-light Tudor arches. Tower, massive, with corner
buttresses and south-east stair and 3-light intersecting tracery
over c1400 west door having consecration crosses on jambs. Two-
light bell openings and crenellated parapet. South porch of 1892,
elaborately detailed with knapped flint flushwork and inscription.
Sundial on south wall.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays, 2 chamfered orders pointed arches on
wave moulded piers, the two west arches and piers more elaborate.
Early C14. Wide tower arch with 3 wave mouldings, all amply
proportioned. Chancel arch simple chamfers expanded to string
moulding as capitals. Low pitched roof of 5 bays, C15, cambered
moulded ties bracketed to wall posts. Carved bosses and corbels.
Aisles, rebuilt 1891, wide, with 8-bay roof arcaded against outer
wall and with stone carved corbels. C14-C15 north door. Chancel:
North wall with close set blocked lancets and door, C13. Plaster
vault. Chancel arch terminates in bell capitals and commences deep
trefoiled wall arcade. Raised sanctuary. Trefoiled piscina and
second on north side. Dayrell Chapel: Almost detached. Niche in
north-east corner, and smaller niches in jambs of east window,
nodding ogee and crocketed canopies. Piscina with bracketed
credence shelf, possibly C19. Fittings: Font, good goblet bowl of
C12 with overall lozenge pattern, raised on stem of 1842 carved
with scenes by Thomas Meyrick. Organ in north aisle, 1838 painted
case, some work by England, restored c1960. Pulpit, readers desks,
communion rail and choir stalls all of limed oak, elaborately
Gothic of 1892-3 and good. Screen to south aisle, also limed oak
and also good, of 1943. Brass lectern. Monuments: Chancel: Fine
Purheck wall chest tomb of C15, with 4 panel bays, with solid
canopy having 9-foil arches and swirling fan vaulted soffite,
supported by network columns, solid to east. Monument to Sir
WILLIAM JONES, attourney-general to Charles II, 1682. Marble chest
with cartouche and inscription. Sir WILLIAM, periwigged, half
reclines on chest, holding scroll. Behind a sarcophagus with
gadrooned black marble top and square crest with book over skull.
Painted shield and urn finial. WILLIAM JONES, 1775, by L. F. Moore
of London, black, white and red marbles Tablet and above, on wide
black obelisk, a bust with medallion and drapes held aside by
putti. Above a sarcophagus and crowning pediment. Wall tablet to
MARY BURDETT, 1797 by King of Bath, White and grey marbles. Fluted
bell below, above, a scene with sheep, vase and wilting lily, all
on grey marble arched panel and poem. Tablet, 1840, to WILLIAM
JONES BURDETT; Tablet, 1844, Sir FRANCIS BURDETT; M.P. Oval
plaque. 1892, Marble, to Colonel Sir FRANCIS BURDETT; Dame FRANCIS
BURDETT, 1948; Major Sir FRANCIS BURDETT, 1951. On north side
Tablet, 1694 to ROBERT HILLMAN, Marble, oval with small garlanded
urn. Before altar, floor slab with Norman French inscription, to
WILLIAM ST. JOHN, 1322. Nave: Tablet, 1830, to EDWARD MEYRICK.
Tablet, 1839 to Reverend EDWARD MEYRICK by C. H. Smith of London.
South Aisle: Various wall tablets of grey and white marble: 1705/6,
to HENRY READ and family, curved pediment and apron; 1756, to
HENRY READ, pedimented tablet and apron; 1786, to HENRY READ, by van
Gelder, a weeping figure holding urn with grey marble pyramid
background; 1801, to FRANCIS READ also by van Gelder, projecting
panel with draped urn over, mounted on grey pyramid. (pevsner
notes transition between Baroque-Roman classicism to Greek
classicism); 1821, Lieutenant General HENRY READ, by Blore of
London, half oval tablet with panel. Urn over, all on drapery
background;1845, MARY ANN SEYMOUR; 1847, ANN COTTINGHAM; 1865,
brass tablet on slate, to WILLIAM ROWLAND. North Aisle: Various
white and black marble tablets; 1808, ELIZABETH BATSON, by
Honeybone of Shrivenham, standing figure with cross over tablet;
1851, to ELIZABETH HAWKINS; 1856, to ALFRED BATSON, by Gaffin;
RICHARD DAVIES; 1879, to LOUISE READ, a Gothic limestone memorial.
1977, BERTRAM EDE, slate. On east wall of aisle; 1745 to JONATHAN
KNACKSTONE, exuberant cartouche with flying angels and garlands.
Tower: 1805, White marble tablet, to ELIZABETH BLACKMAN, draped
urn, corn sprays below. 1845, Gabled aedicule to GEORGE TOWNSEND:
1783, Tablet to MARY READ, mourner over. Dayrell Chapel: 3 main
mutilated Purbeck marble chest tomhs, formerly embellished with
many brasses but removed during Commonwealth. All probably C15. One
central and 2 wall chests with reredos. West end of north aisle:
Group of important Saxon and later fragments set on base; Cross
shaft, C9, limestone, 3 blocks from 2 crosses, interlace to 2
sides. Biting beast on 2 sides of base and inhabited scroll. Parts
of 2 C9 tomb slabs, 1 with chain interlace, second with interlace
and cross bifurcating with recurving beast terminals. Fragment of
3rd slab with relief cross in Ringerike style, and small fragment,
probably a cross shaft, chain interlace with blank back. Also C13
cross slab with stepped elaborate cross and part of a second, with
divers other medieval fragments and terracotta pieces. Some
encaustic tiles of C14-C15. Furniture: C16-C17 panelled chest
with good locks. C17 large bible box. 2 brass chandeliers dated
1751; 2 tiers of 6 branches. Altar carpet, probably Persian. C19
with parallel tendril stripes. Church clock mechanism in aisle, by
Robert Hay of London, 1866. Painting of Nativity in chapel.
(References: Pevsner, N. Buildings of England. WILTSHIRE; V.C.H.
Wiltshire. XII 12f. Kendrick; Anglo Saxon Art to 900AD).
Listing NGR: SU2738271592
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.