Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 30 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 310721
OS Grid Reference: SU3431461047
OS Grid Coordinates: 434314, 161047
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3475, -1.5087
SU 36 SW
6/1 Church of St James
Anglican parish church. 1855-6 by R J Withers on site of earlier building within
earthworks of medieval village. Flint with stone dressing, tiled roof. Door
at north-west corner within flush gable. Trefoiled lancet windows but 2-light
windows on south and stepped lancets at east end.
Interior: Nave and chancel within one vessel. Nave of 3 bays with arch-braced
collar beam roof trusses. Scissor trussed rafters to chancel. Fittings: Font
C12 or C19 copy, limestone bowl with zig-zag. Pulpit; C18-C19 stained oak
octagon. Lectern: C19 carved oak eagle. Stained softwood pews.
Listing NGR: SU3431461047
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.