Description: Wolfhall Manor
Date Listed: 30 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 310745
OS Grid Reference: SU2416761897
OS Grid Coordinates: 424167, 161897
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3556, -1.6543
SU 26 SE
4/25 Wolfhall Manor
Farmhouse, C16, C17, c1800 and c1880. Brick and timber framing.
Tiled roof. Two-storey and attics, 4-bay core structure with C18
east wing and stair tower in reentrant, to which is added a c1800
2-storey 6-bay north wing, further extended to east c1880.
Original structure upper floor timber framed, possibly jettied,
with stack in 3rd bay and 4th bay framed gable. North wing with
door in 3rd bay; 6 panelled with open pediment on paired brackets.
Twelve-pane sashes with painted brick lintels to ground floor, 6-
pane above. West gable with canted bay, C18 wing with later C19
extensions and bay linking to late C19 extended wing with pierced
carved bargeboards and decorated stacks. Lean-to verandah. Sun
Insurance sign No 51253. Interior: Chamfered ceiling beams.
Stone fireplace to ground and first floor. Some C18 panelling to
sitting room. Brick culvert below stair block on different
alignment, C16-C17, although Aubrey states building was always
timber framed. Major demolitions c1855. The building is on the
site of the Seymour manor house visited by Henry VIII in 1535 and
1539, derelict at and abandoned after 1571. Seymour glass reset in
Great Bedwyn church, (q.v.). (Jackson Canon J.E. Wolfhall and The
Seymours WAM XV 140-207).
Listing NGR: SU2416761897
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.