Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 30 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 310750
OS Grid Reference: SU2574460325
OS Grid Coordinates: 425744, 160325
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3414, -1.6318
GRAFTON THE GREEN, East Grafton
SU 26 SE
5/30 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church. 1844, by Benjamin Ferrey. Limestone
ashlar and square rubble, slate roof. Norman (i.e. of Normandy)
revival, said to be based on Thaon, Normandy. Nave and aisles,
short chancel and apse. Tower over west end of north aisle. West
door in 2 recessed orders with nook shafts. Chevrons, bowtell and
twisted roll. West window over also with light chevron, and
flanking intersecting blind arcade. Pair of attached shafts
without top divide elevation from aisle and tower. Side elevation
of 5 bays defined by broad flat pilasters connecting plinth and
corbel table. Simple round-arched windows with continuous string.
Clerestory similar but narrow lights with incised moulded heads.
Apse also similar but alternate corbels of table are grotesques.
Tower of 3 stages, open twin lights to bellstage and parapet corbel
table with pronounced gargoyles. Pyramidal roof. The whole is a
triumph of a normally difficult revival style, and significant in
Interior: Nave of 5 bays, varied scalloped capitals and 2 plain
orders arches. Wall shafts above on corbels support bracketed ties
and arch-braced principals roof. Blind chevron arch at east and
west ends of nave. Chancel raised 3 steps; 2-bay barrel vault and
apsidal end. Tall blind arcading between embrasures, also with
nook shafts. Encaustic tiles paving. Aisles with plain arch
buttresses to nave arcade. Fittings: Font, limestone arcaded bowl
on square base. Inscription cast in rim of lead lining. Pulpit;
oak, open intersecting arcading and iron handrail to steps. In
sanctuary, marble credence table on Romanesque style column. Also
Romanesque timber wall arcading remaining from choir stalls, now
replaced. Organ by Bevington of London. Glass: Good apsidal
windows depicting St Margaret, St Nicholas and Resurrection in
centre. Aisle glass mostly of 1856. West window by Willement.
Monuments: North Aisle: Limestone Gothic aedicule, 1846, to
PHILIP SELFE. Nave: War memorial in black and white marbles.
(Reference: Antiq. and Architect. Year Book 1844, 339-349.
Builder 1844, 207.
Listing NGR: SU2574460325
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.