Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 30 July 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 310838
OS Grid Reference: SU3294862924
OS Grid Coordinates: 432948, 162924
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3644, -1.5281
HAM CHURCH ROAD
SU 36 SW
6/l13 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, 1733-C1740 and 1849. Various stones and
Corallian rag dressings, flint and pebbledashing. Tiled roof. Nave, chancel
and west tower possibly Romanesque in origin and C18 north porch. Lancet
windows to nave, chancel and tower, but latter with 2-light windows to west.
South side of nave rebuilt 1849, and 2 Romanesque revival windows and
contemporary vestry to chancel. Three-stage tower, now mostly, C14 repaired
and refaced C18; pebbledashed with 1 offset and angle buttresses. Crenellated
parapet. C18 dormer windows at west end of nave lighting gallery.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays with probably C18 cambered ties and wavy queen struts,
ceiled at collar leve, probably C16. Raked west gallery of C18 with baluster
rail and 3 text panels on face. Chancel has low pitched roof and raised east
end. Fittings: Communion rail, C18 oak with turned balusters. Pulpit 1849.
Font of limestone octagonal bowl with painted C18 cover. C18 low box pews and
slightly raised manrial pew. Choir stalls of 1849. Painted piscina. Oak
bell frame of 1633 in tower. Monuments: Chancel: Wall monument, 1719, white
marble, to Rev RICHARD GILLINGHAM, inscribed panel with elaborate curtaining
and putti,urn above and arms below. Tablet, 1843, black and white marble, to
Rev. SUMNER SMITH, by Bussel of Gloster. Nave: Wooden wall aedicule; of 1590
to JOHN HUNT, Yeoman. Broken pediment with urn over marbled wood columns.
Purbeck slab with inset brass of 2 kneeling figures and inscription. Some C19
and C20 wall brasses and tablets. (Reference: Church guide (undated).
Betjeman: English Country Churches.)
Listing NGR: SU3294662924
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.