Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 22 August 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 310939
OS Grid Reference: SU2900558252
OS Grid Coordinates: 429005, 158252
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3226, -1.5851
TIDCOMBE AND FOSBURY TIDCOMBE
SU 25 NE
9/215 Church of St. Michael
(formerly listed as Parish
22.8.66 Church of St Michael)
Anglican parish church, C14, C15 and C17. Rendered flint with
stone dressings. Brick porch. Tile and lead roofs. Nave, aisles,
north porch, chancel and west tower. 1, 2 and 3-light windows with
trefoiled ogee heads and no hoods. 3-light east window. Low 2-
stage C17 tower with single light square bell openings and short
corner obelisks to parapet. Brick buttresses to west face, one
incorporating datestone EHWL 1707. North porch gabled brick with
rubbed arch and datestone, EHWT 1675.
Interior: Nave of 2 bays shortened from 3 bays when tower rebuilt.
North arcade of double chamfered orders on octagonal column with
leaf carved capital, early C14. South arcade similar, but aisle
narrower. Clerestorey windows. 2 chamfered order chancel arch and
brackets for rood screen. Roof low pitched, C16-C17. North aisle
has low wall tomb and recess under east window containing C15
encaustic tiles. Trefoiled piscina with credence shelf. Roof of
similar date to nave. South door raised high. Chancel of 2 bays
but probably originally longer. North and south doors and blocked
arch on north side perhaps to former chapel. Wall recess on south.
Trefoiled piscina with credence shelf. Roof C15 uniform scantling
collar truss and brattished wall plates Chancel restored and paved
in C19. Fittings: Font, simple conical limestone bowl date
undetermined. C19 communion rail. Monuments: Nave, 2 wall
tablets, white marble on grey slate. JOHN STRATTON, 1916 by J.
Lloyd of Bedwyn, and Great War roll. Chancel: North side; Wall
tablet, grey marble on white marble shelf, by Osmund of Sarum.
Central relief urn surrounded with family shields all white marble,
to THOMAS RENDALL of Milston, died 1831, and family. Also 2 wall
tablets, 1826, by W. Gibbs, to SARAH RENDALL, and 1897, by H. Page
of Andover, to HENRY RENDALL and family. South Aisle: Wall tablet
to EDWARD TANNER, 1845, marble, sarcophagus with draped urn.
(Reference: Pevsner Sir N. Buildings of England: Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU2900558252
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.