Description: Old Rectory
Date Listed: 4 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 311009
OS Grid Reference: SU1463249604
OS Grid Coordinates: 414632, 149604
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2454, -1.7917
FITTLETON MAIN STREET
SU 14 NW (west side)
House. Late C17 and 1742. Main block of brick with limestone
quoins and dressings. Slate roof. Rear, earlier, block, of flint
and limestone with plain tiled roofs. Rear block of 2 bays, linked
to parallel front block with central stair hall and flanking
reception rooms, extended to left in early C19. Facade of 7 x 2
window bays divided into 3 equal parts by two giant order pilasters
each carrying one triglyph frieze. Twelve-pane sashes with
segmental brick arches and stone keys. Centre first floor window
blind and key has incised F.J.M. 1742 (possibly Robert Merchant,
rector 1731-73 Patron and the President of Magdalen College
Oxford), flanked by narrow 8-pane sashes. Central open pedimented
6-panel door on console brackets. Timber cornice, broken slightly
forward over pilasters. Three flat roofed dormers with casement
windows. Roof hipped and stacks to rear.
Interior has dog-leg stair with dado panelling, probably mid-C19.
Room to left C18 fully panelled with cornice and C19 fireplace.
Drawing room in left 2-bay extension also 1842-54 for Rev. T.
Listing NGR: SU1463249604
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.