Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 27 May 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 311063
OS Grid Reference: SU1305757673
OS Grid Coordinates: 413057, 157673
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3180, -1.8140
NORTH NEWNTON -
SU 15 NW
2/115 Church of St. James
Anglican parish church. C13, C15 and C19. Limestone ashlar and
flint tower, nave and chancel malmstone banded with brick. Nave
with south porch, chancel and north vestry, and west tower. Nave
has triple lancet windows on north-west side and a reset 2-light
C14 window on south, the remainder C19 plate tracery. Lancets to
chapel, triple at east end, and paired on the south. Porch C19.
Tower of C15, three stages with angle buttresses founded on huge
sarsens. Stair in south-east angle. Paired bell openings, and
parapet with animal headed spouts. Floor beams of bell stage and
roof penetrate walls, are keyed and have stone pent roofs. Square
headed west door and window over.
Interior: Nave and chancel largely rebuilt c1862. Three bay
timber roof, the bays subdivided by further tie beam trusses. C19
chancel arch. Timber barrel vaulted chancel, but C13 piscina with
credence shelf. Arch to C19 vestry. Hollow chamfered arch to
tower. Fittings: Font under tower, C15, octagon with quatrefoiled
panels. Pulpit: C19, stone with stone steps from chancel.
Monuments: Two wall tablets in chancel. North side: Carrara and
grey marbles, an aedicule with broken scroll pediment, the
terminals burgeoning. Boars head crest. Fluted pilasters and
putti below. To Francis Wroughton, of Estcot, died 1733. South
side: similar tablet, but arms and supporters between scrolls. To
Caraline, Countess of Abingdon, died 1741. Five C19 brasses.
Glass in east, and west tower windows, C19.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England; Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU1305757673
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.