Description: The Trenchard Building (Building 70), Upavon Camp
Date Listed: 3 June 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 311090
OS Grid Reference: SU1582654911
OS Grid Coordinates: 415826, 154911
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2931, -1.7744
SU 15 SE (north side)
6/141 The Trenchard Building,
(Building 70), Upavon Camp
Station headquarters for the Royal Flying Corps, Central Flying
School, now museum. 1913. Lined rendering on brickwork. Asbestos
slate roof. Single storey. Central line of rooms with forward end
wings, and glazed corridor between. Entrance at each end of
corridor up flight of steps. Twelve-pane sash windows with sloping
lead clad sills. Extension block at north-east end post 1917,
containing conference/briefing room.
Interior: West end restored as commandant's office and ante-room.
One of an important group of purpose-built buildings for the
Central Flying School established here in 1912, under the command
of Captain Paine, RN, and Major, later Viscount, Trenchard. The
group comprises The Trenchard Building, Officers' Mess (q.v), Avon
Club (q.v.), the post office, Racquet Court (c1912), Sergeants'
Mess, four senior NCOs' quarters on Devon Road (1914-1929), four
Junior Officers' quarters on York Road, Paine Cottage (Commandant's
house 1912-15) and Lord House (Single Officers' quarters).
Listing NGR: SU1582554909
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.