Description: Porch House
Date Listed: 19 March 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 311154
OS Grid Reference: ST9626565148
OS Grid Coordinates: 396265, 165148
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3854, -2.0550
ST 9665 BROMHAM THE CHANTRY
10/4 No 1 (Porch House)
House, later C17 on C15 core, painted and rendered rubble stone
main range with hipped stone slate roof and rear stack. Painted
brick range to right with Bridgwater tile roof and ridge stack.
Main house is 2-storey-and-attic, 3-window range with 2-storey
hipped-roof projecting porch to right. Flush quoins to north east
angle. Two first floor leaded casement pairs and ground floor 6-
light leaded casement with one iron opening light. Porch has
rendered upper floor, probably timber-framed with similar casement
pair. Ground floor pair of massive Doric half-columns and turned
baluster screens each side. Behind columns on front is original
timber doorcase with similar baluster screens each side. Six-panel
door with overlight. Range to right is 2-storey, originally
timber-framed, raised and refronted in painted brick in early C19.
Two-window range of leaded casement pairs and central door, lower
openings with cambered heads. Framing is exposed on west end
wall. Thin square framing on rear wall.
Interior not inspected: said to have cruck in centre and moulded
stone fireplace in upper left-hand room (1952 Devizes R.D. List).
House is possibly the chaplain's house for the Tocotes chantry in
Bromham church, built 1492. From 1751 to 1825 was the Red Lion
(H. Davis, A. History of Bromham, 1965)
Listing NGR: ST9626865149
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.