Description: Former Church of Saint Mary
Date Listed: 14 January 1981
English Heritage Building ID: 311157
OS Grid Reference: ST9571866604
OS Grid Coordinates: 395718, 166604
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3985, -2.0629
ST 96 NE BROMHAM CHITTOE
2/7 Former Church of Saint Mary
Former Anglican parish church, to be converted (1986) to house,
1845 by T.H. Wyatt. Squared sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings, slate roofs; coped gabled and west end gabled bellcote.
Three-bay aisleless nave with south porch and north transept,
(added 1870), chancel with north organ chamber and south vestry
attached. Decorated Gothic style with 3-light east, west and north
transept north windows, 2-light nave windows and single lights to
chancel sides, all with hoodmoulds. Clasping buttresses, raised
plinth and moulded sill-course. Gabled south porch. South east
vestry gabled each end with east door. North east gabled organ-
chamber in angle to chancel and polygonal porch attached.
Interior: tall proportions with timber roofs; arch-braced collar
trusses to nave and transept, boarded chancel roof. Moulded
shafted chancel arch and moulded arch to north transept. Moulded
subsidiary arches to north east organ chamber. All fittings except
stone pulpit and tiled reredos removed.
(Builder 1844 411; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire 1975 177)
Listing NGR: ST9571866604
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.