Description: Church of the Holy Saviour
Date Listed: 19 March 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 311230
OS Grid Reference: ST9650353933
OS Grid Coordinates: 396503, 153933
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2845, -2.0515
ST 96 53 ERLESTOKE HIGH STREET
15/80 Church of the Holy Saviour
Anglican parish church, 1880 by G.E. Street for Lady Hannah Watson-
Taylor of Erlestoke Park. Ashlar with plain tile roofs and coped
gables. Perpendicular style. Nave, chancel, north chapel and
organ chamber, south porch tower, transept and vestry. 4-light
west window, 3-window nave with buttresses between. South side has
2 windows and then projecting 3-stage tower with 2-light bell
openings, embattled parapet and pyramid roof. East side stair
tower up to second stage. Moulded pointed south doorway. To right
transept gable with 2-light flat-headed window. Lean-to vestry
with door and flat-headed window. One chancel south wall window.
Five-light east window. Chancel north side has one window then
north chapel gabled each end with 3-light flat-headed east window.
Nave north side has 3 windows.
Ashlar lined interior with hammerbeam nave roof and arch-braced
chancel roof. Continuously moulded chancel arch and arch to north
chapel, 4-centred arch to south transept. Chancel has east window
and south window glass by Kempe 1880 and c1887. In nave C16 oak
pulpit. In north chapel brass to E. Axford died 1726 and plaque to
J. Tilly died 1750. In south transept 4 reset armorial plaques.
In porch and nave 3 short Norman columns and half-columns, said to
come from previous church, though this was apparently aisleless.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 240-1).
Listing NGR: ST9650353933
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.