Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 27 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 311381
OS Grid Reference: SU1338268135
OS Grid Coordinates: 413382, 168135
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4121, -1.8090
There is also a scheduled monument, Medieval Settlement Remains Immediately West of the Vicarage, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SU 16 NW WEST OVERTON CHURCH HILL
9/129 Church of St. Michael
Anglican parish church. 1877-8 by C.E. Ponting, tower 1883. Flint
with squared sarsen banding, and Bath stone quoin and dressings.
Nave with north aisle and south porch and west tower. Chancel with
north transeptual organ chamber and vestry to south. Porch gabled,
with diamond flint and stone patterning and iron terminal cross.
Two light windows with quatrefoiled heads and one 3-light with
panelled head. Chancel windows square headed and Geometric east
window. Tower tall and slender, 4 stages with corner buttresses, a
south-east stair and elongated perforated bell openings. Parapet
with corner tourelles, and Lombardic table below. Aisle has four
groups of triple quatrefoiled lights and a re-used C14 west window.
Interior: Nave has a 4-bay north arcade, alternate quatrefoiled
and round columns supporting twice chamfered arches. Four bay roof
with hammer-beam trusses and arch braces to collars. Open rafters.
Handsome tall tower arch of 3 orders and inner triple impost
columns, the hoodmould with scrolled tail stops. Door on south
side to rood loft, reset. Chancel arch on stilted corbels with
verde antico shafts. Chancel Tractarian, the east wall tiled below
a string with good gilded tiles and inscription. Double piscina on
north. South window sill lowered as sedilia. Pointed boarded
barrel roof. Tower has quadripartite vault and centre bell
opening. Fittings: Font, under tower. C15 type with quatrefoil
panels. Pulpit of oak, panelled. Brass sanctuary rail and C19 oak
eagle lectern. Glass: some good C19 glass, 1875, 1885-8 and
twelve apostles in aisle, of 1898. Monuments: In chancel: Marble
wall tablet. C18. Panel with recessed pilasters and flat cornice
with urns and central crest. Apron below. To Mortimer Powell,
died 1728. In nave: Tablet, 1971 and 3 early C20 brasses. On
west wall a bronze tablet 1960, to Lord Kennet of the Dene, and
adjacent, a second bronze to his wife, Kathleen Scott, sculptor,
died 1947. An ambitious church in a prominent position by an
architect better known for restoration work.
(Pevsner, Buildings of Engand - Wiltshire; Church guide)
Listing NGR: SU1338268135
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.