Description: Group of 7 Monuments in Churchyard 4 to 7 Metres South of Chancel, Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 29 April 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 311535
OS Grid Reference: SU0379164178
OS Grid Coordinates: 403791, 164178
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3766, -1.9469
BISHOPS CANNINGS CHANDLERS LANE
SU 06 SW (east side)
6/114 Group of 7 monuments in churchyard
4-7m south of chancel, Church of
Group of seven chest tombs in 3 rows. C18-C19. All limestone.
Eastern row, from north:
(a) Double moulded table and base. Centre and corner pilasters
with coarse floral scrollwork, supporting architrave. Raised
shields with floral work around. To John Brown, date illegible.
(b) Fluted end pilasters and reeded fascia with rosettes. Rilled
central section separating panels, to Hannah --, died 1814.
Central row from north;
(c) Double chest tomb. Corniced table and moulded base. Recessed
corner balusters Fielded panels, to William Ruddle, died 1728,
and George Ruddle, died 1732.
(d) Chest tomb. Cavetto table and moulded base. Recessed side
panels between thin pilasters. To Thomas Bound, died 1801,
Marianne Bound, etc.
West row, from north:
(e) Corniced table. End fluted pilasters with entablature. Raised
side shields, to Jane Dargiffer(?) died 1833, etc. (f) Similar
tomb, but with end shields. Unidentified.
(g) Moulded table and chamfered base. Flush fluted pilasters.. and
reeded fascia. To Thomas, William, and Mary -- died 1733, etc.
Listing NGR: SU0379164178
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.