Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 19 March 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 311589
OS Grid Reference: SU0457160256
OS Grid Coordinates: 404571, 160256
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3414, -1.9357
ETCHILHAMPTON VILLAGE CENTRE
SU 06 SW
6/169 Church of St Andrew
Anglican parish church. Early C14 and restored 1866, vestry 1868-9
by Weaver of Devizes. Malmstone with limestone dressings. C20
tiled roof but chancel of sarsen with C19 tiles and trefoiled
ridges. Nave with south porch, and chancel with north vestry.
Nave has 2-light trefoiled windows with square heads and 4-light
reticulated west window. Early C14 south door with remains of
niche over, formerly containing St Anne. North-west buttress has 3
nodding ogee niches with crenellated corner towers carrying winged
angels, all on carved corbels. Two further buttresses to west end
and raised bellcote of 2 lights and gabled top. Chancel has paired
trefoiled lights in deep reveals and 3-light Geometric east window.
Vestry, at right angles to axis of chancel, has canted end and
trefoiled lights. South porch also 1866, has narrow lights on
sarsen sill wall, timber tracery and shaped barge boards in gable.
Interior: Nave plastered. Probably C16 roof of 4 bays with tie
and crown post trusses carrying double purlin roof with cusped wind
braces. Chancel arch early C14, with residual ballflowers to outer
arch and rosettes on impost capitals. Chancel is of ashlar, with a
2-bay roof with heavy wind braces between intermediate rafters.
Tomb recess in north wall, and trefoiled niches flanking east
window. Fittings: Font: Late C12. Bowl with small trumpet
scallops at base, raised on a C19 column drum. Box pews, early
C18, to rear of church, with later C18, much restored, further
forward. Pulpit C19, oak on stone column. C19 chancel fittings.
Monuments: In chancel, north side, within tomb recess a late C14
limestone chest with a knight in armour and his lady as effigies,
and 12 weepers below in pairs between buttresses, two pairs
carrying (?) headdresses, two with flowers. His head rests on
shield, and feet on a lion. She has a cushion. Said to be of the
Malwyn family. North side, from east, framed limestone panel, C17,
a strapwork cartouche and arms over a central marble plaque with
inscription to Gertrude Ernle, died 1662. Tablet, various marbles,
C18. Panel with crest and apron, to Margaret Bailey, died 1788.
Tablet, C19, white marble on grey, by Harrison of Devizes. Panel
flanked by inverted torches. Gable with acroteria over. To Louisa
Hitchcock, died 1840, and Elizabeth. Tablet, white marble on grey,
to the fallen of the Great War. Wall tablet, white and grey
marbles, a corniced panel with tall obelisk over. To James Gibbs,
died 1792. South side: From east, two C19 wall tablets, white on
grey marbles, the upper a draped urn over a cushioned tablet
between pilasters, to Edmund Hitchcock, died 1832, and wife.
Below, simple panel to Jane Hitchcock, child, died 1829. Tablet,
white marble on grey. Double panel between fluted pilasters,
reeded fascia and urn against gable over, to Richard Giddings, died
1796 and later family. Externally to church, a limestone shield on
north side, shaped, on bracket corbel. Inscription illegible.
Sculpture: In recess of blocked north door, a fine limestone panel
ex situ of the Archangel Gabriel, of naive proportions, within a
nogging ogee, flowers in moulding to left. Perhaps part of an
Annunciation scene from a medieval reredos. Furniture: A panelled
and carved C18 cupboard.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU0457160256
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.