Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 27 May 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 311654
OS Grid Reference: SU1446163735
OS Grid Coordinates: 414461, 163735
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3725, -1.7936
SU 16 SW
5/21 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church. 1878-9. Banded brick, sarsen, limestone,
flint and malmstone. Vitrified brick to west gable. Tiled roof of
1961. Nave with south porch, and chancel with north side vestry.
Entrance porch has pitched roof and wave moulded door. Two-light
nave windows with quatrefoil heads and drip mould. Three lancets
with trefoiled heads form west window. Limestone bellcote
corbelled above west end. Chancel also has 2-light quatrefoiled
windows. Coped verges. Date stone at west end reads RE TC 1790,
and graffiti on buttress dated 1631.
Interior: Nave of 3 bays, open hammerbeam trusses. Wide chancel
arch with continuous mouldings. Panelled barrel vault of 3 bays.
Vestry open to chancel. Fittings: Font octagonal, Cl9. Pulpit
oak, also C19, pierced and panelled. Oak sanctuary rail.
Monuments: In chancel, tablet, 1830 to Charlotte Bleeck. In nave,
churchwardens tablet of 1739 and oval tablet to Evelyn Burge, died
1954. In case, 4 fine large encaustic tiles and 2 margin tiles,
C15, recovered in excavations in 1966 on north side of building.
(N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire; W.A.M 62, 63 and 64,
Listing NGR: SU1446163735
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.