Description: Wilcot Manor House
Date Listed: 4 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 311777
OS Grid Reference: SU1397660790
OS Grid Coordinates: 413976, 160790
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3460, -1.8007
WILCOT CHURCH END
SU 16 SW
Wilcot Manor House
Manor House, early C17, C18 and later. Brick, with tiled roof.
Two storeys and attic. Central block of 3 bays with cross wings
both ends, and stair in right re-entrant angle at rear. Further
service wing on left. Main facade to west, remodelled mid C18 with
entrance in large glazed porch of c1920. Twelve-paned sashes early
C20 with gauged brick lintels, extended up at centre to form
residual flush key. Roofs hipped and tall panelled brick stacks.
Centre block and left wing have deeply chamfered cross beams.
Central hall saloon has interesting stone fireplace c1600 with
fascia carved with grotesques and foliage. Fine stair around well
with twisted balusters, extending to attic level. C17 panelling,
probably from hall, refixed on first floor landing. Main
reception rooms in right (south) wing have inlaid marble, and
marble and wood fireplaces of mid C18, possibly imported, also some
on first floor. The house is probably on the site of the Domus
Optima noted in Domesday Book, and later a manor of the Bishops of
(VCH X 194)
Listing NGR: SU1397660790
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.