Description: Great Cheverell School
Date Listed: 5 March 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 311935
OS Grid Reference: ST9827954382
OS Grid Coordinates: 398279, 154382
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2886, -2.0260
CHEVERELL MAGNA HIGH STREET
ST 95 SE
5/31 Great Cheverell School
Schoolrooms, 1844. Painted roughcast with slate roof. Single
storey, comprising a double classroom of 3 bays with entrance at
left end at junction with third classroom at right angles
presenting gable to street. Boarded door in open gabled porch.
Stone ovolo moulded windows of 3 lights with straight moulded label
over. Diamond pattern cast iron lights. Gable of cross wing has a
raised stone long cross patonce entwined with ribbon inscribed
ERECTED A.D.1844. Stone copings with a fleur de lys terminal.
Modest extensions to rear for kitchen and study. Blocked lateral
fireplace to dual classroom. The school, founded by the vicar was
taken over as a National School in 1845, Board School- in 1876 and
Salisbury Diocese Association Voluntary School in 1905.
Listing NGR: ST9827954382
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.