Description: Church of St Barnabas
Date Listed: 25 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 311994
OS Grid Reference: SU0210855295
OS Grid Coordinates: 402108, 155295
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2968, -1.9711
EASTERTON HIGH STREET
SU 05 NW
2/90 Church of St Barnabas
Anglican parish church, 1875. Red brick in Flemish bond, with blue
brick banding and yellow and red bricks to window heads. Tiled
roof. Nave with south-east porch, chancel with vestry, and
bellcote. C20 parish room attached to west end, not of special
interest. Porch gabled with flush buttresses. Windows simple
lancets with stone sills and flush blue brick string. Eaves
cogged. Three similar at west (south) end with a window head in
gable, and triple lancets to chancel. Tall saddleback bellcote
with cross gable and single bell opening. Nave has two small
gabled dormers each side.
Interior: Unplastered. Open timber framed roof of 5 bays on
hammerbeams and wall brackets. Piers at west end to support
bellcote. Floor walkways tiled. Simple chancel arch to long
chancel, which has 6-sided open timber roof. Vestry open to
chancel by wide low arch. Glass with coloured margins, but north
chancel window by Glasby, 1927. Fittings: Font, square,
limestone, on 5 columns. Pulpit: part octagon, carved. Altar
rail of wood on scrolled stanchions. Furniture. Organ, no pews.
No monuments. Two war memorial brasses.
Listing NGR: SU0210855295
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.