Description: Manor House
Date Listed: 25 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 312022
OS Grid Reference: SU0052754296
OS Grid Coordinates: 400527, 154296
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2878, -1.9938
MARKET LAVINGTON -
12/118 Manor House (Jeanne House)
Large house, 1862-9, by Ewan Christian for Edward Pleydell
Bouverie, now junior boarding house for Dauntsey's School. Red
brick, with blue brick patterning and stone dressings. Slate roof.
Two storeys and attic. Main block of 3 bays with link to large
service block, itself linked to stables and carriage houses forming
courtyard to north-east. Elizabethan revival style evolved from
the domestic gothic of Pearson and Daukes. Imposing asymmetrical
entrance on north side leading indirectly to large central hall.
Porch has strapwork pilasters, dentilled cornice and blind
traceried parapet, arched at centre and ball finials at corners.
Arched opening over four steps. Gable over has initials EPB and
date 1865. Hall, on left, has lettered parapet reading PATRIA CARA
CARIOR LIBERTAS. Mullioned and transomed windows throughout, bay
windows and canted bays, some with round arch to central two lights
of four. Bays gabled, with stone kneelers and copings. Chimneys
octagonal, of brick, moulded with letters B and strapwork, and have
offsetting tops. Coats of arms in gables. Service block has
central corridor and south front a 5-bay round arched arcade
stopping at tall clock tower with ogee lead roof and ball finial.
Arcade continues beyond for 4 bays terminating in a 3-bay arcaded
gable. Stable and carriage yard in similar style; single storey
with attics, gabled, enclosing a paved yard, and with stone gate
pier at entrance.
Interior: Entrance lobby with fireplace, leads left to 2-storey
single aisled main hall, the arcade having polished marble columns
and carved stone capitals supporting depressed 2-centred arches.
Tiled floor to aisle. Columned stone fireplace with entablature
and scrolled fascia. First floor balcony cantilevered. Stair at
south-west end, behind entrance lobby, timber, open well, with
twisted balusters. Stained glass window to stair with owner's
initials. Architect's panel under, reading E Christian 1865.
Contractor Futcher and Bentliff. Games room in south-east corner,
carved stained pine overmantel, marble slips and encaustic tiles to
fireplace. Ceiling with moulded ribs forming polygons. Refectory
in south-west corner has similar fireplace, with tiled interior,
and another, contemporary, with coloured marbles between these two
Listing NGR: SU0052754296
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.