Description: Clyffe Hall
Date Listed: 19 March 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 312025
OS Grid Reference: SU0082853924
OS Grid Coordinates: 400828, 153924
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2845, -1.9895
MARKET LAVINGTON B3098
13/120 Clyffe Hall
House, now hotel. 1732, for Henry Vince II, early C19 wings added,
remodelled 1899 (date on rainwater heads) for E.C. Schomberg, east
wing further extended 1905-10 possibly by C.E. Ponting and front
and interiors altered c1904 by Ernest Newton. Roughcast, with
rendered raised quoins, Bath stone details and slate roofs.
Central block 3 storeys, attics and cellars. Double pile plan with
internal stacks and stair in north-west corner. Original entrance
said to be from south, altered to north c1904. Five bays, cornice
and pediment. Central entrance, an oak 6-panelled door with side
and overlights within 4-style Ionic portico. Tripartite window
over and oval window in aedicule cresting. Twelve-paned sash
windows. Wings to right of 2 bays containing drawing room, to left
also of 2 bays, extended in similar style by further 2 bays and
forward terminal block containing kitchens, extended to rear as
billiard room. Balustraded parapet for first 2 bays either side.
Rear elevation has giant Corinthian pilasters and egg and dart
cornice. Central Ionic portico. Roof hipped with many tall
Interior: Hall within central block has heavy oak panelling. Dog
leg stair also of oak, C17 design. Drawing room has timber
overmantel to acanthus fire surround, and plaster ceiling. Lounge
on south side has heavy dentilled cornice.
Listing NGR: SU0082853924
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.