Description: Sea Scout Hall
Date Listed: 25 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 312063
OS Grid Reference: SU0169154268
OS Grid Coordinates: 401691, 154268
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2875, -1.9771
MARKET LAVINGTON HIGH STREET
12/158 No 42 (Sea Scout Hall)
Workman's Hall, now library, surgery and meeting hall over. 1865-6
for Edward Saunders Temperance Fund. Flemish brickwork with slate
roof. Tall 2-storey facade of 4 bays, with carriage entry in
fourth bay. Entrance central to the three bays, with flush stone
portico on four pilasters and attic bearing inscription and date.
Bays defined by giant brick pilasters with stone caps, eaves and
sill bands. Sixteen-paned sashes with eared moulded stone
architraves and cornices. Carriageway arch is of gauged brick with
stone keyblock, and clock over with stone surround and dripmould.
Gable stacks. Late C19 two-bay wing on left. Rear elevation
altered. Loading door over carriage arch and simpler 16-pane
sashes. Dentilled eaves.
Interior has the large meeting hall on first floor. Window
shutters in reveals. The building was erected by the temperance
society and provided dole of soup and bread pudding when needed.
Included for group value, and as an interesting example of the
confidence of the social provision for the needy in the mid C19.
Listing NGR: SU0169154268
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.