If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 19 March 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 312174
OS Grid Reference: SU0064553031
OS Grid Coordinates: 400645, 153031
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2764, -1.9921
WEST LAVINGTON ALL SAINTS ROAD
13/273 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15 and reworked in 1847 by
T.H. Wyatt. Greensand rubble and squared stone. Limestone ashlar
to chancel. Slate roofs but copper to chancel and lead to chapel.
C12 or earlier nave, with late C13-early C14 north aisle and
slightly later south aisle and north and south porches. C13 north
transept and chancel, with C16 south chapel. C15 chantry chapel
converted from south transept. C13 west tower, heightened in C14.
Nave has lancet clerestorey. Aisle windows Cl9, two trefoiled
lights. Lancets to chancel, C19 triple lancets at east end. Three
light west window, altered. Three light square headed windows and
blocked west door to chantry chapel. Tower diminished above roof,
and carried on internal arches. Two stages with ogee lights to
upper chamber, and 2-light bell openings. Polygonal stair turret
with two sundials, and crenellated parapet.
Interior: Tall plastered nave with wide embrasures to clerestorey
windows. High lancet in east wall. North arcade of four bays,
slightly pointed simple arches with single recessed order on boldly
carved capitals and round columns. South arcade also of 4 bays,
pointed arches on round columns and capitals. Contemporary tower
arch with attached shaft in reveal, and simply chamfered chancel
arch. Roof C19 open trussed rafters. Aisles extended by one bay
westward to clasp tower. Chancel of four bays with panelled vault.
South priest's door. Large trefoiled piscina. South chapel to
chancel is plastered with heavy roof joists. Four light internal
window to south aisle. Piscina with bowl on an attached shaft.
Various floor slabs to Becket family and John Harvest of Potterne,
died 1671. South transept very wide arch with coarse panelled
soffit. Plaster removed from walls. Flagged floor. Moulded east
door to lobby leading to south chancel chapel. Tower has arches
supporting upper structure. Hood moulding to nave arch removed.
Fittings: Font, reset under tower, late C15-early C16. A shallow
bowl on octagonal panelled column, raised on plinth. Chancel
completely refitted mid C19. Pulpit C19, oak and panelled. Organ.
Monuments: south chancel chapel: south wall, wall monument C18,
white marble raised panel with side pilasters, apron and arched
cresting with urn. Arms on pediment. To Thomas a'Beckett, died
1792, wife and descendants added. Marble tablet, 1823 to William
a'Beckett. South transept chapel: very fine wall monument.
Carrara marble on black plinth. A reclining figure on sarcophagus,
with grottesche. Rear panel supported by scrolls, bearing long
inscription in garland. Pulvinus and broken pediment over, with
mantled arms and flaming vases. To Henry Danvers, died 1684. Wall
tomb. C15, containing image of a lady in limestone, with wimple
chatelaine and purse. Wall tomb, white and black marbles. A very
relaxed lady in veil, reading, shield behind her head. To
Elizabeth Dantesay, died 1636. West wall: two wall tablets, white
marble on grey. To Margaret Henderson, died 1840, and Amelia
Kelsey, died 1841, by Osmund. East wall Gothic aedicule.
Limestone, to Rev Robert Caswall, died 1846. North Transept: Ten
monuments. East wall: Handsome wall monument, 1732. Framed panel
with side scrolls. Putti on apron. Segmental pediment over with
applied coloured arms. To Thomas Hunt and family. On north wall
(a) William Tinker, 1829; (b) Louisa Tinker of Conock, 1860 by
Reeves of Bath. (c) Sarah Frederick, 1832 by Reeves, (d) Urn over
tablet on bracket, to Jane Williams, died 1790. (e) Charles Tinker
of Littleton House, 1833. On west wall: (f) Oval panel, to John
Smith, 1786, (g) Wide sarcophagus. To Thomas Smith, died 1823, by
King of Bath. (h) Corniced tablet with urn over. To Sarah Hewett,
died 1821, by King. South wall: Aedicule in coloured marbles.
Segmental pediment. Putti on apron. To Sarah Amor of Patney, died
1753. North Aisle: Fine wall monument of 1732, identical to Hunt
monument above. To Margaret Hunt, died 1731. Small limestone
panel below, to Ienever Ioyerbury, died 1672. Glass: Much stained
glass of 1840-60 period. Small medieval figure set in nave east
lancet. Roundel of various glass, including medieval, from Ypres
Cathedral (non-fixture). Brasses: Chancel chapel: John Kalmus.
North transept: John White, 1693, Thomas White, 1675. Peter
Anderton, 1699, all refixed on wall. South chapel: (a) Margaret
Dauntesay, 1571, palimpsest on latin brass. (b) John Dauntesay,
1550, palimpsest on a Flemish brass. (c) detached male figure in
armour. South aisle: Christopher Merewether, 1660: Katherine
Poulgraine, died 1712. Jerome Allsopp, died 1918. Furniture: Late
C16 table altar in south chancel chapel. Chained 'Companion to
the Temple' Thomas Comber, St. Paul's Churchyard, 1684.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire; Leele-Hodge, A Guide to
Wiltshire Brasses, 1977).
Listing NGR: SU0065653030
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.