Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 27 May 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 312425
OS Grid Reference: SU1982654160
OS Grid Coordinates: 419826, 154160
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2862, -1.7171
SU 15 SE
7/219 Church of St Peter
Redundant Anglican parish church. 1813. By John Morlidge for F.D.
Astley. Bath limestone ashlar, lead roof to nave and slate to
chancel. Tall square nave with south porch, short chancel, south
vestry and west tower, all in a simple Gothic style. Nave
has tall 2-light windows with cusped heads and hoodmoulds, and a
crenellated parapet. Slender corner buttresses. Porch has moulded
Tudor doorhead and steeply raked crenellated gable. Chancel, also
crenellated, has thin buttresses and 3-light east window. Tower of
3 stages, with plain Y-tracery window over west door, pierced
screens to ringing and bell stage. Crenellated parapet and
crocketed corner pinnacles. Vestry has octagonal buttresses rising
above parapet and terminating in crenellated crowns.
Interior: Nave flagged and plastered. Roof of 7 bays, hammmer
beam trusses and open panel work above shallow arch. Stone reveals
to windows. Tall chancel arch with double nook shafts to each
arris. Panelled organ gallery at west end supported on cast iron
columns, canted back at ends. Chancel of 4 roof bays. Tiled
floor. Steps to altar and sill of east window set low. Wide
chamfered arch to vestry with an angled fireplace. Fittings:
Font, at west end. C12, with minimal scallops to plain bowl.
Second C19 font by chancel arch, early C19, octagonal, trumpet
shaped. Pulpit of oak, 3-sided panelled, with steps and handrail.
Choir stalls 1900 with traceried high backs and carved crestings.
Nave pews, also 1813, simple, but carved bookstand to front pew on
south side. Monuments: North side of nave:
a) Large wall monument on 2 limestone arches. White marble frame
with grey marble slab carrying inset metal lettering, to
Francis Dugdale Astley, founder of the church, died 1818.
Frame has octagonal panelled pilasters and inner vine scroll
developing into 3 elaborately crocketed ogee arches and
foliated pendants. On shelf below quatrefoiled base are three
Parian ornaments, two winged angels, and a central octagonal
vessel decorated with gothic panels, marked 'St Mary's,
b) Wall monument, 1824. Two stage white marble sarcophagus
against grey marble field, by W. Gibbs, Andover. To Sir
Dugdale Astley, Bt. died 1842, and wife Sarah, 1824.
c) White marble tablet in open frame, sarcophagus over, all on
grey marble background. To Arthur John Astley, died 1831.
d) White marble on grey, to Emily Astley, child, died 1837.
e) White marble scroll on grey by Sanders, London. To Ethel
Chapman, nee Astley, died 1871.
In chancel: 8 wall monuments:
a) Engraved slate, to Rev Walter Garrett, died 1716, and wife.
b) White marble tablet. To Edward Starkey, died 1779, and family.
c) Slate slab, to Rev Thomas Earnle, died 1690.
d) Marble slab, to John Wallis RD, Professor of Arabic at Oxford.
e)f)g) Three Astley monuments including a small marble chest inset
in niche in wall, 1915.
h) White marble scroll on marbled grey slab, to Susan Astley, nee
Bouverie, died 1854.
Brasses: In chancel (1) Rev John Neet, died 1429; (2) Susanna
Tesdale, died 1650, with homily; and (3) Mary Samwell of
Lavington, died 1811. In nave, a framed royal arms of George II,
and 3 hatchments (A) Sir John Astley, died 1771, (B) Francis
Dugdaie Astley died 1818, and (C) Sarah, Lady Astley, died 1824.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; P. Summers, Hatchments
in Britain, 4)
Listing NGR: SU1982654160
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.