Description: Temple Approximately 32 Metres West of Belcombe Court
Date Listed: 18 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 312499
OS Grid Reference: ST8170060621
OS Grid Coordinates: 381700, 160621
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3444, -2.2641
ST 86 SW (north side)
Temple approx 32m W of
Belcombe Court (formerly
listed as Temple in
grounds of Belcombe
GV 18.4.52 II*
the description shall be amended to read:
Temple. 1740s for Francis Yerbury. Limestone ashlar. Circular plan. Classical style
Roman Doric columns, set in wide couples, with triglyph frieze and cornice; flaming urn
to dome. Overlooks pond to W of Belcombe Court. Wood had intended Belcombe Court to
command a natural view across the Avon valley and had supposed that there had been an
ancient Druidic temple on the site. He was offended when Francis Yerbury gave the job
to a working "Mason" as part of the garden bounded by the ha-ha (q.v.) and including
the grotto (q.v.), Gothic cottage (q.v.) and garden seat (q.v.) which he created to
the west of Belcombe Court in the 1740s.
(T Mowl and B Earnshaw, John Wood, Architect of Obsession, 1988, pp 120-121.)
1. BELCOMBE ROAD
5411 (North Side)
Temple in grounds of
ST 86 SW 6/116A 18.4.52.
Near the house and to the west of it is a small lake. Overlooking the
lake is a circular domed structure originally intended to cover a garden
seat and now known as The Temple. Probably early to mid C18. Ashlar.
The stone dome is supported on 8 slender Roman Doric columns, set in wide
couples, with circular triglyph frieze and cornice. The height of the
columns is about 8ft and the diameter of the Temple is about 10ft. to
the outside of the columns.
Belcombe Court forms an important group with the Temple, Stables, Barn,
Grotto and Cottage to the West.
Listing NGR: ST8169860622
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.